Dropouts when playing video from my NAS542 network drive

Options
XorTdsc
XorTdsc Posts: 3  Freshman Member
Hi,
I've created a network drive with videos on it using my NAS542 (4 HDD Raid). I play those videos with VLC player on my Windows10 PC. I get constant dropouts (video stopping and resuming after a second or two).
As an example I have a video of 330MB and 4:30 length. It should pose no problem in theory. Also if I copy the video to my PC it copies in a few seconds with around 80MB/s. However streaming it from the network drive with VLC results in constant mentioned dropouts. Also other players seem to have the same issue. So it appears to be related to reading in smaller chunks. Maybe there is huge latency when starting to read ?
Any ideas what causes this and how it could be fixed ?
Cheers !

All Replies

• XorTdsc
    Options
    btw.: the mentioned example video is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJZRvE4xHPM

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,607  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Is the NAS busy doing other things? Have a look at the CPU last. For the CPU it's not really a problem, but a harddisk is bad in multitasking.
  • XorTdsc
    edited December 2020
    Options
    no, the NAS is basically idle. nothing to do. upload in status-center is near zero. i can hear barely any sound from hdd, status lights are on, not blinking, the NAS/HDDs are not powered down. and as mentioned, copying the file is as fast as expected. :/
  • Attilio
    Options
    The canonic answer is: increase the cache size and disable hardware acceleration. I did the first and increased to 5000 ms the cache size. Still have to try to disable harware acceleration, but the simple increase of cache didn't work for me. So I passed to Kodi. With Kodi at first had the same issues, but increasing the cache to 220 megabytes (Kodi uses as a measure bytes, not ms), the problem was almost completely solved. To change che cache in Kodi isn't to immediate, you have to install a wizard as add-on first. Instructions can be found in the Kodi forums
  • znas4home
    Options
    XorTdsc said:
    Hi,
    I've created a network drive with videos on it using my NAS542 (4 HDD Raid). I play those videos with VLC player on my Windows10 PC. I get constant dropouts (video stopping and resuming after a second or two). 
    Did you map a network drive in windows 10 to that nas share or just used network path to it to play all of these videos?

Consumer Product Help Center