LTE5388-M804 bridge mode

Valgamaa
Valgamaa Posts: 3
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband
I have bought a LTE5388-M804 which seems to work well 'out of the box', but I would like to use it in a specific configuration. As there is no manual for the product I hope someone here can help.
I have an office network with DHCP and firewall working well and I would like to connect the WAN from that to this unit for internet access. I think that is bridge mode, but is it as simple as enabling the cellular data pass-through?
I would also like to have a WiFi network for visitors outside my LAN, so could I enable the LTE5388 DHCP server for WiFi only? 
Thanks for any advice you may be able to offer, it would save lots of experimentation that would be nice to avoid.

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Hello @Valgamaa

I can only find the quick start guide at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/LTE5388-M804/quick_start_guide/LTE5388-M804_001.pdf  and I cannot see how this will do bridge mode.

Can you use it in router mode, where you make the device at 192.168.1.1 the gateway to the Internet by connecting your local area network (LAN) to it through an Ethernet port?
         - you would need to set your LAN to have 192.168.1.1 as your default gateway to the Internet.

I hope that this is helpful. Happy Easter.

Kind regards,
         Tony

• Valgamaa
    Hi Tony,
    Thanks for your reply, as you say the lack of manual is the root of the problem. The datasheet here https://download.zyxel.com/LTE5388-M804/datasheet/LTE5388-M804_1.pdf explicitly states that the unit can work in bridge or router modes, and I have no reason to doubt the claim - but neither do I have the information to configure it!
    I had tried putting the unit on a different subnet without success. This is necessary to route the traffic to the WAN port of my router, but then the LTE5388 won't 'reply' as it's on a different subnet. I will try the pass-through on Monday and see how that works, but this my first experience of Xyzel, and the lack of documentation isn't encouraging. I see plenty of documentation for other models so assume this is quite a new product, but that isn't really much of an excuse.
  • Valgamaa
    With the help of the Support Campus I have been able to resolve this successfully.
    The bridge mode is actually IP Passthrough, and simple to enable. After logging into the LTE5388, go to the menu symbol and select the Broadband item. From there select the Cellular IP Passthrough tab and enable IP Passthrough.
    With this applied, what ever you are using as a firewall will be given the ISP address and gateway information, and it will be up to the user to provide what ever protection you want, obviously. In my case I connected the LTE5388 to the WAN port of a Cisco RV345.
    If you want to access the LTE5388 then you can get its address from router as it is the default gateway. 
    It also looks like you can continue to use the WiFi outside your network, but I haven't investigated that yet.
    It's a shame the documentation isn't better, as the unit is pretty quick and a huge improvement over what this replaced.
  • tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

That is good news.

It sounds like the configuration is like the that of the LTE7490-M804, which has a user guide at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/LTE7490-M904/user_guide/

Kind regards,
         Tony

Consumer Product Help Center