NSA320S support

Options
akradiabra
akradiabra Posts: 8  Freshman Member
Hello, I have a NSA320S which currently has one 4TB HDD in bay 1. It is configured as JBOD. I should like to add another HDD. Is it just a simple job of powering down, fitting the drive and then powering up letting the firmware take care of the configuration and there will be no loss of data? Can I add a smaller drive say a 2TB just as easily?

Also I am running Windows 7 Enterprise and it is time to upgrade. I have a copy of windows 10 Pro build 1709. Will this be compatible with the NSA320S with firmware build V4.75(AANV.2)

All Replies

• Podo
    Podo Posts: 28  Freshman Member
    Options
    You have to create new volume for inserted hard drive.
    It will not influence your old volume.

Since Windows 7 supports it should be compatible with Windows 10 map to your NAS.

• akradiabra
    Options
    Thank you for your reply, it looks promising on both counts.

Whilst I have got your ear, so to speak, how will things pan out regarding the defined default shares as shown in attached image Network Drives 01.jpg. Will the increased capacity by adding another HDD be amalgamated within these defined shares?

If so will the Network drives be as mapped the same as shown in Network Drives 02.jpg?

Am I right in assuming that the two HDD's will always be intimately linked to each other and both will always have to be present for any data to be accessed?

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Podo said:
    Since Windows 7 supports it should be compatible with Windows 10 map to your NAS.

That is not completely true. The NSA320s only supports the SMB1 protocol, which is by default disabled on W10, for security reasons. Yet it is possible to re-enable SMB1 support.
    Another option is to install 3th party SMB2 support on the NAS.

Will the increased capacity by adding another HDD be amalgamated within these defined shares?
    When you add that disk as seperate volume, no. You'll have to create new share(s) on that volume, which use it's space.
  • akradiabra
    Options
    Hello Mijzelf

You said "Another option is to install 3th party SMB2 support on the NAS"

How easy would that be? Can it be done from within Windows? or is a linux based machine preferable?
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Consumer Product Help Center