TP-link VR2800 and Zyxel LTE7480 M804 outdoor router - cannot get to work together

Options
JM98
JM98 Posts: 2
Friend Collector
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband

I use the TP-link VR2800 as my main DSL router.

as my broadband is intermittent, I have bought a Zyxel LTE7480 outdoor router/antenna and want to connect this to the TP-LINK.

I want to keep the TP-Link as my main router and have therefor DHCP activated there and have switched it off on the Zyxel. 

I have given the xyzel a fixed IP of 192.168.1.10 and switched on ip-passthrough (seems to be the equivalent of bridge mode in order to avoid a double nat issue when it is on router mode?)

Not sure what to do at the TP-Link side

no matter if i leave it in mode 1 (DSL router mode) or mode 2 Wifi router mode) or when I connect the zyxel to the WAN or LAN port on the TP-Link, i cannot get this to work.

Would anyone be willing to give my advice to get this going?

What I want is to be able to plug in my DSL when it works but have my zyxel as a back up. Even better would be if both could be connected and perhaps the DSL connection bound to a single lan port out. (as I have separate guest accommodation which would then be served by that).

I have now tried almost everything but have to stop fiddling each time my guests are back or when my wife goes online for work...

I did get the 4g router working through the tp-link a few times but for some odd reason not everything worked correctly over wifi (but ethernet connection -seemed to -worked ok)

summary of setup:

TP-link VR2800 in house connected to BT DSL

a couple of RE650 around the house to extend (shame no mesh)

Also a switch connected to ethernet sockets around the house.

In the guest accomodation I have an Archer C58 with a guest Wifi ssid setup.with a LAN cable connecting the wto archers via LAN ports

Hope some one can help, after hours of youtube and google, I am at a loss.

many thanks!

Jaap

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 860  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hello Jaap @JM98

Looking at the user guide available at ftp://ftp.zyxel.com/LTE7480-M804/user_guide/LTE7480-M804_1.00.pdf and especially section 1.2 Application for the Zyxel device, I cannot see that the LTE7480-M804 supports what you wish to do.

Kind regards,
         Tony
  • mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,337  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi @JM98
    i don't know if you're a Motorbike or Car guy... Let me try to make an example about racing.
    You can try to use a GT3 car for compete into a mud rally. Or you can't perform using a WRC Plus car into a F3 race. They don't fit the scenario... even if the marshals would allow you to race.

I can respect your goals (having DSL and LTE backup) but... your current equipment seems don't fit your goals.

The one that seems lacking the capabilities seems TP-Link Archer VR2800.

After a (brief) manual read, the dual WAN setup seems not available.
    xDSL router
    or
    Ethernet router (using LAN4/WAN as a WAN port)
    or
    add a 3G/4G Backup but only with a USB dongle connected to the device (check up the compatibility list provided by TP-Link)

If you wish to use your Outdoor LTE router, at least a WAN port, a dual connection capability and a client AP is necessary. Otherwise, IMVHO you should look for the right USB dongle for your beloved Archer.

Hope this helps...

• JM98
    JM98 Posts: 2
    Friend Collector
    Options
    mMontana said:
    Hi @JM98
    i don't know if you're a Motorbike or Car guy... Let me try to make an example about racing.
    You can try to use a GT3 car for compete into a mud rally. Or you can't perform using a WRC Plus car into a F3 race. They don't fit the scenario... even if the marshals would allow you to race.

I can respect your goals (having DSL and LTE backup) but... your current equipment seems don't fit your goals.

The one that seems lacking the capabilities seems TP-Link Archer VR2800.

After a (brief) manual read, the dual WAN setup seems not available.
    xDSL router
    or
    Ethernet router (using LAN4/WAN as a WAN port)
    or
    add a 3G/4G Backup but only with a USB dongle connected to the device (check up the compatibility list provided by TP-Link)

If you wish to use your Outdoor LTE router, at least a WAN port, a dual connection capability and a client AP is necessary. Otherwise, IMVHO you should look for the right USB dongle for your beloved Archer.

Hope this helps...

Many thanks. I would be happy to get this working in the WIFI router mode, as long as I can switch back to the BT DSL connection with not to many manual setting changes.

I assumed that switching to the WIFI router mode and connection via LAN would be the solution and whenever I need to use BT DSL I could change operator mode to DSL router.

That would be absolutely perfect, as my 4G connection is from a temporary mast and it is not certain a permanent one will come (plunging me back into the BT broadband darkness 0-2MB).

Unfortunately, as I have holiday makers renting, I can only fiddle when they are out and have to make sure they have internet when they are in.

I have tried connection the Zyxel to the WAn (and Lan) ports but am having no success. I had the Factory reset the TP link to get DSL working again as I got confused..
    Hooking up directly to the zyxel gives a great connection and also when i connected to the LAN port (not WAn) i got a god connection through the Wifi of the TPLink but nothing through anything connected to the other wan ports (including repeaters linked via ethernet..

I would be very happy if I can get the Zyxel to work with the TP Link, it does not have to be an automated switching between DSL and 4G.

Once I have a permanent 4G mast nearby , I would cancel the DSL anyway. I just need to be able to put it back to DSL when I am not here and my guests get a connection via DSL.
    Very frustrating!  Appreciate you help!! many thanks, Jaap

Consumer Product Help Center