Looking for a 10GbE switch
My Router is equipped with a 10GbE RJ45 (copper) port.
I am currently looking for an affordable switch with the following characteristics:
- 2x 10GbE ports (one to connect to the router, one for a potential 10GB client machine).
- 6 or more gigabit ports (each capable of the full gigabit in parallel, no shared bandwidth).
I found the following which is affordable and looks promising:
However, the 10GbE ports are SFP+ and I am not familiar with those.
AFAIU there are SFP+ to RJ45 adapters available (although quite expensive), but would it be possible to use such adapters on these 2 ports?
- They are described as "two 10 Gigabit SFP+ uplink ports". Does that mean that I couldn't connect a client machine to one of the 10GbE ports? The application diagram on the datasheet does show a workstation and a NAS connected to these ports, though...
- The 10GbE ports are "fiber optics" apparently. Does that mean I cannot connect RJ45 (copper) devices to them? Are there any adapters that could do that at all?
- Now, for the 8 gigabit ports, it is mentioned "XGS1010-12 comes with two high-priority and two medium priority ports, which provides considerably enhanced download quality while bandwidth priority settings give you a better surfing, gaming, and streaming experience". This is scary. dies that mean not all the gigabit ports are capable of the full gigabit simultaneously?
Let me also know if you think a different model of switch could be better suited for my needs.
Thank you very much in advance for your help.
Maybe this one?(Sorry I know this is not a Zyxel product... Is there a Zyxel equivalent?)
10gbe SFP adapters aren't all that expensive. . . I've seen some in the $40 range.I tend to shy away from unmanaged switches, even at home,so to me, the XGS1210-10 is the better value.It would be nice if Zyxel offered a straight copper version of these switches.As much as I despise Netgear these days,they also offer an affordable all copper 10GBE switch, namely the GS110EMX.0
Old thread maybe but just want to say that I bought this one from QNAP myself and am happy with it:
QSW-2104-2T | A plug & play switch featuring 10GbE and 2.5GbE connectivity, suited for SOHO and professionals | QNAP
- 8.4K All Categories
- 1.6K Nebula
- 70 Nebula Ideas
- 57 Nebula Status and Incidents
- 4.5K Security
- 226 Security Ideas
- 981 Switch
- 46 Switch Ideas
- 872 WirelessLAN
- 22 WLAN Ideas
- 5.1K Consumer Product
- 156 Service & License
- 280 News and Release
- 97 Success Stories
- 59 Security Advisories
- 13 Education Center
- 579 FAQ
- 262 Nebula FAQ
- 160 Security FAQ
- 76 Switch FAQ
- 74 WirelessLAN FAQ
- 7 Consumer Product FAQ
- 34 Documents
- 34 Nebula Monthly Express
- 69 About Community
- 46 Security Highlight