Setting static IP address

ComputeInTheCloud
ComputeInTheCloud Posts: 19  Freshman Member
First Anniversary Nebula Gratitude Friend Collector First Comment
I have an NWA123ACv3 being controlled via Nebula and I am trying to change the IP address assignment of the AP from dynamic to static but no matter what static address I attempt to assign the system returns this: Bad IP assignment configuration. The address I am assigning is outside the DHCP scope defined for the network segment it is on but is absolutely a free and available address within that network. Gateway, mask and DNS are all valid for the network it is on. Don't ask if the address is in the same network as we are well beyond that here. The issue is that Nebula is seemingly incapable of assigning a static address to the AP so I am stuck using it with a DHCP address within the scope defined on the router. Why is that? If this function is broken in Nebula, I need it fixed or a valid way of setting a static IP address of the AP so it is outside the DHCP scope for clients.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

Hi @ComputeInTheCloud

Nebula AP is designed to fallback to previous IP/VLAN settings if new settings fail to establish connection to Nebula.

Here is my operation of set IP address, ensure the IP is not conflicted with other device in the topology, VLAN settings is passed in the path and gateway/dns can reach Nebula without problem.

After click OK, the IP of AP will change to the static one.

If you require any further information, feel free to let us know.

Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• ComputeInTheCloud
    Thank you for explaining how to set a static IP address on an AP. However, the issue is that when I do this it returns the error indicated. The device sits on a 10.222.70.x/24 network with a DHCP scope from my ZyXEL router set for .100 to .130 range. The device grabs an IP address from the available scope which allows for its effective discovery. When I go to change the address of the device from DHCP to static assigning it to say...10.222.70.200 with a 24 bit mask, the appropriate gateway (.1) and a DNS for the Internet provider, I get the error. I've tried several addresses outside the DHCP scope and without fail it fails to assign the static address stating that the address is invalid.  It is not invalid. I have been creating and managing networks for over 20 years. This is a brainless exercise for setting a static address on the network the device resides on. There are no conflicts and there are other statically assigned devices on the network (printers) working perfectly. It is ONLY the Nebula and ZyXEL AP which are experiencing this error. Previously I had an older ZyXEL AP in the same layout and setting a static on that device was flawless although it was done through the web interface of the AP, not from the Nebula cloud. This feels like a programming error by ZyXEL where Nebula is incapable of setting static IPs on devices it manages.
  • ComputeInTheCloud
    Please explain what precisely is wrong with the IP address assignment defined here.
    Is ZyXEL saying that a class A address assignment cannot be made to a subnet of a class A with a 24 bit mask?

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    edited October 2021

So stand-alone still rules

But yup this looks to be a Nebula bug where instead of looking at the subnet it looks at the DHCP range....but how does the AP know about the DHCP range if thats done on the router...I wonder...what if you setup a IP/MAC Binding rule for your AP MAC on the router for 10.222.70.200

• ComputeInTheCloud
    Thanks for the comment. Is there a way of logging into the AP locally. I can get to the interface but admin/1234 does not work for the local login. I tried my Nebula creds and they fail also.
  • PeterUK
    edited October 2021
    Why do you need to login to the AP? its the router that needs you to set the IP/MAC Binding for the MAC of the AP and IP you want it to have. My way of thinking is Nebula can't truly set a static IP on the AP if you think about the AP starts up without a config so it must do a DHCP to connect to Nebula so by setting a IP/MAC Binding in your router out side of your DHCP range the router should give out the IP you want the AP to have. 

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee

Hi @ComputeInTheCloud

Thanks for the screenshot, we can clear understand your experience here.

Could you please enable the Zyxel support at Help > Support request > Invite Zyxel support as administrator, and provide the Org and Site name for us to check.

And if possible, can we edit the IP address to catch the needed info? We’ll operate at your non-service time in order to prevent impact.

Thank you.

Regards,

Bella

• ComputeInTheCloud
    The request has been made and the Org is Momentum Physical Therapy and the site is Ft. Lauderdale. Again the IP network is 10.222.70.x/24 with a DHCP scope of .100 to .130. You can use any address below .100 except the gateway of .1
  • ComputeInTheCloud
    PeterUK said:
    Why do you need to login to the AP? its the router that needs you to set the IP/MAC Binding for the MAC of the AP and IP you want it to have. My way of thinking is Nebula can't truly set a static IP on the AP if you think about the AP starts up without a config so it must do a DHCP to connect to Nebula so by setting a IP/MAC Binding in your router out side of your DHCP range the router should give out the IP you want the AP to have. 

Not helpful. Making a DHCP address a reservation leaves the device within the scope. By your reckoning there would never be a need to set IP addresses statically on anything. We are talking about a common functionality that is given by the Nebula interface to do what administrators need done on the devices under management and it is not working.  That is the issue.
  • PeterUK

Not helpful. Making a DHCP address a reservation leaves the device within the scope. 
    No you can make a reservation out side of your DHCP scope for 10.222.70.200

Nebula Tips & Tricks