Setting static IP address

All Replies

• ComputeInTheCloud
    ComputeInTheCloud Posts: 19  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Nebula Gratitude Friend Collector First Comment
    PeterUK said:

Not helpful. Making a DHCP address a reservation leaves the device within the scope. 
    No you can make a reservation out side of your DHCP scope for 10.222.70.200
    So there is no use at all for a device with the ability to set a static IP address, Peter?  Look, my friend, you are missing the point. There is a functionality in the management interface which is not working.

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited October 2021
    So you tried it and it worked but you want the management interface to be saved in the AP when it boots up.ok

Nebula was done with a safety way should you reset the AP it can always connect back to Nebula so it would have to DHCP on untag to a router should you of set a management VLAN for the AP but your AP is on a untag LAN to the router so you would think you can set a IP even out side the DHCP range and I agree it should let you and maybe what needs to happen with a firmware fix is you set the static IP for the AP and it tries to connect back to Nebula if it can good it sets as static and works if you reboot the AP with the stored IP.

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee

Hi @ComputeInTheCloud

Thanks for the information for us to follow your steps setting the IP on your AP.

The result shows the IP outside DHCP pool can’t establish connection to Nebula so an alert raised and fallback to previous IP.

We also did a test that set an IP outside my DHCP pool on my AP and it works.

The possible reason that you can’t set static IP may be the policy rule on gateway.

We suggest you could take a look on gateway’s logs, hope it will tell more helpful information.

Regards,

Bella

• ComputeInTheCloud

Hi @ComputeInTheCloud

Thanks for the information for us to follow your steps setting the IP on your AP.

The result shows the IP outside DHCP pool can’t establish connection to Nebula so an alert raised and fallback to previous IP.

The possible reason that you can’t set static IP may be the policy rule on gateway.

We suggest you could take a look on gateway’s logs, hope it will tell more helpful information.

Regards,

Bella

Policy rules on the gateway? Like what? What policy could possibly disallow setting static IP addresses on an AP?  Please explain what kind of policy you are suggesting.

• ComputeInTheCloud

Hi @ComputeInTheCloud

Regards,

Bella

Policy rules on the gateway? Like what? What policy could possibly disallow setting static IP addresses on an AP?  Please explain what kind of policy you are suggesting. And what is the error actually referring to?

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,655  Guru Member
    edited October 2021
    Maybe you locked down the LAN to WAN that the AP is trying to connect to Nebula?
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @ComputeInTheCloud

Here are some conditions need your help to clarify:

1.      Have you configured any IP/MAC binding of this subnet on gateway? (Ex. printer)

2.      Neither 10.222.70.88 nor 10.222.70.200 can call home to Nebula so the interface fallen back, can you check if the PC assigned static IP address outside the dhcp pool that can browser internet or not?

Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• ComputeInTheCloud

Hi @ComputeInTheCloud

Here are some conditions need your help to clarify:

1.      Have you configured any IP/MAC binding of this subnet on gateway? (Ex. printer)

2.      Neither 10.222.70.88 nor 10.222.70.200 can call home to Nebula so the interface fallen back, can you check if the PC assigned static IP address outside the dhcp pool that can browser internet or not?

Thank you

Regards,

Bella

Bella,
    The network this resides on is built on a LAN port on a ZyXEL ATP 500 and as such has a default route to the Internet. There is no filtering or firewall rules which apply differently for the DHCP scope vs. the entire network. There are two DHCP reservations defined, one for a printer and one for a wireless VoIP phone base. I know the phone is working as I asked that specifically today of the practitioner there. I tried to change the address to static from the web interface of the AP today and got the same results. The only thing that changes is the IP address range but the gateway and DNS all stay the same. And there is no partitioning of the network between DHCP delivered addresses and static ones.

• ComputeInTheCloud
    PeterUK said:
    Maybe you locked down the LAN to WAN that the AP is trying to connect to Nebula?

I wish it was that simple. That would mean there is some mechanism to differentiate between statically assigned addresses and dynamically assigned addresses, and there just is no such thing on place.
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @ComputeInTheCloud

We checked your AP's diaginfo, the communication between AP and Nebula shows these findings.

Nebula checked AP's ip status failed. AP is unable to connect Nebula.

The needed ports for Nebula management are ports 4335, 6667. 

We can take a look into your ATP500’s configurations and logs.

Can you collect diagnostics of ATP500 and download its startup.conf at MAINTENANCE then send me via private message?

Thank you

Regards, 

Bella

Nebula Tips & Tricks