Acces to NAS326 from Internet without public IP

Hello,
So I have NAS326 which I would like to have access to from Internet, but my ISP does not give public IP address.

Also this NAS326 requires very strange UPnP version I think, because it did not work with 3 routers I had, which had this functionality, but Zyxel NAS was not able to see it (it was able to see NBG6515 for about 30 seconds after restarting both devices, so I was able to add it to MyZyxel Cloud but I was not able to make any further configuration). So is it any possibility other than teamviewer opened on computer within NAS local network to access files stored there from Internet?

Previously I have had radio Internet from the same ISP and I was able to access files only from "MyZyxelDrive" android app, but before I was able to download anything the app was crashing ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. But at least I was able to see files, so I though it was because of mix of skills of programmers who wrote this app and low upload speed of my (radio) Internet.

The "myZyxel Cloud" was not working, because NAS was not able to detect UPnP router, although it was Zyxel NBG6515, but smart people from Zyxel tech support explained me, that they are uncompatible, although both devices have UPnP support in specification ¯\_(ツ)_/¯. Probably it is wrong UPnP version as it was written in last post of that thread:

https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/7304/remote-access-nas326/p2

I gave up the subject, because my upload speed on the radio was 512kbps, so even if I had access from Internet, that would not help me much. But currently I have fiber connection, and I would like to use it.

Any help would be appreciated.

All Replies

• Snow
    Snow Posts: 22  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    edited October 2021
    You can contact your ISP to check what's your IP you would get.
    If it is static IP you can set it up locally on you NAS  and then connect to ISP.
    Or if you have router above the NAS, you can do NAT / port forwarding on the router for the specific port.

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Snow said:
    If it is static IP you can set it up locally on you NAS  and then connect to ISP.
    Don't do this. The NAS is not designed for, nor suitable to be connected directly to the internet. You need a firewall (e.g. router) in between.

• Snow
    Snow Posts: 22  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Yes, you're right, it's more security to have a router or firewall above the NAS nowdays.
  • Hubert
    Hubert Posts: 2
    Snow said:
    You can contact your ISP to check what's your IP you would get.
    Or if you have router above the NAS, you can do NAT / port forwarding on the router for the specific port.

You mean which IP? The structure in my network for NAS is:
    NAS IP address: it is local addres (192.168.0.100)
    Next is router (to which configuration I have access) and its address is inside some local ISP network (10.71.5.x) and probably the gateway for this network has public address.

I contacted with my ISP and for my question how I could be able to connect NAS to Internet the answer was "you are not able". So I can choose between them (50 mbps, 1ms ping, 0%  package loss) and the nation-wide ISP which makes able to use NAS, but connection is 8mbps, 200ms ping and 2 to 30% package loss during normal usage.

So generally without public IP I can only use TeamViewer?

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited October 2021
    Next is router (to which configuration I have access) and its address is inside some local ISP network (10.71.5.x) and probably the gateway for this network has public address.

That is a uncommon Carrier-grade NAT address. Which is possibly the reason uPnP doesn't work for you. If the router tries to open a port, and it's probed from outside, that is doomed to fail. So uPnP is meaningless.

So generally without public IP I can only use TeamViewer?

Without public IP connections can only be initiated from inside, not from outside. Teamviewer opens a tunnel from inside to some known server outside, and your Teamviewer client connects to the same known server, which leads you through that tunnel.

There is more software which masters that trick, I thought MyZyxelCloud did, but I can be mistaken, I never used it.

Another workaround might be the use of IPv6. Many ISP's which don't give you a public IPv4 address (because the address space is exhausted), do give you a public IPv6 address (or actually a public IPv6 subnet).

Consumer Product Help Center