NSA325 V2 drops network connection shortly after any connection request

MY NAS worked for 5 years smoothly. Now it exhibits the behavior as described in the headline. Any request results in a network connection drop after a few seconds (e.g. copy to PC disk via drive mapping). 
Are the disks at risk? Admin app reports "healthy". Twonky was disabled, so CPU usage is normal.
My mount scripts reports system error 53 directly after the drop. Later then (1 min) it succeeds. Copy operation will fail again after 10 secs.

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    I was not talking about SMB1 problems. If that was the case, you couldn't access the NAS at all. The fuzzy problems I mean might be caused by local DNS problems. You know, if you do 'ping mynas' or surf to 'http://mynas' on Windows another DNS is used is used than when you enter '\\mynas' in explorer. Some time ago I found that Windows did something fuzzy with IPv6, when accessing Samba. Can't remember the details, but that problem was solved by disabling the DNS caching service in Windows. Further I have seen dangling sessions with inappropriate credentials, which were used out of the blue. So in case of SMB problems between a Samba server and a Windows client, I always suspect the client.
    And I didn't mean a Linux client either, although it doesn't hurt. Just another Windows client.
    Should this rude procedure harm the device?
    Not the device itself, AFAIK. But it could cause filesystem errors. You could test that by trying to access the same files over FTP, or using the webinterface.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    'Any request'? You webinterface still works, as far as I understand? So 'any request' is 'any samba request'?
    Are you on Windows? If yes, do you have the possibility to test with another client? Windows sometimes does strange things with SMB.

• SFry
    SFry Posts: 3
    Hi Mijzelf,
    the NAS worked smoothlessly for years. Maybe the reason is a not fully smooth power down just by switching off power? I did this without having in mind I should initiate the power down by pressing the power button on the NAS... :-(  Should this rude procedure harm the device? (Did never before as I remember...)
    The SMB problem is well known. I used the procedure as described by Microsoft to re-install the SMB1 in my most recent Window 10. So, should this be reversed as I never had Problems without this SMB1 remedy?
    I will setup a LINUX PC soon and see what happens. But any help how to fix the issue with my Windows is appreciated as I don't intend to switch my desktop to LINUX.
  • Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    I was not talking about SMB1 problems. If that was the case, you couldn't access the NAS at all. The fuzzy problems I mean might be caused by local DNS problems. You know, if you do 'ping mynas' or surf to 'http://mynas' on Windows another DNS is used is used than when you enter '\\mynas' in explorer. Some time ago I found that Windows did something fuzzy with IPv6, when accessing Samba. Can't remember the details, but that problem was solved by disabling the DNS caching service in Windows. Further I have seen dangling sessions with inappropriate credentials, which were used out of the blue. So in case of SMB problems between a Samba server and a Windows client, I always suspect the client.
    And I didn't mean a Linux client either, although it doesn't hurt. Just another Windows client.
    Should this rude procedure harm the device?
    Not the device itself, AFAIK. But it could cause filesystem errors. You could test that by trying to access the same files over FTP, or using the webinterface.
  • SFry
    SFry Posts: 3
    Thank you very much, Mijzelf! There was an ip address conflict in my LAN.
  • Mijzelf
    SFry said:
    There was an ip address conflict in my LAN.
    OK. I didn't see that coming. Glad you sorted it.

Consumer Product Help Center