WiFi drops out after a few hours

WelshPaul
WelshPaul Posts: 14  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband

I purchased a Zyxel NR5101 via Zyxel Amazon a couple of days ago and it came with the following firmware/module:

• V1.00(ABVC.3)C0
  • RG502QEAAAR11A03M4G

I set up the device and all appears to be working… 

There was a firmware update available via the online firmware upgrade option and so I updated the firmware. It's now running:

• V1.00(ABVC.4)C0
  • RG502QEAAAR11A03M4G

I now have a problem with the routers WiFi connection. After a few hours use both the 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands won’t allow any device to connect or vanish completely. Reboot the NR5101 and the WiFi is up and running again. Yes, I have tried factory resetting the NR5101 but it happened again! 

When this happens the phone port still works as do Ethernet connections. So, the router is still maintaining a data connection with my cellular provider. It's just the WiFi that has failed. I don't think it's hardware related as a reboot resolves the problem and all my devices reconnect to WiFi.

I had the WiFi setup as shown below:

Band: 2.4GHz

• Channel: Auto
  • Bandwidth: 20/40MHz
  • Control Sideband: Upper (Can't change this)
  • WiFi Network Name: ***Changed from default to custom SSID***
  • Max Clients: 32

Band: 5GHz

• Channel: Auto
  • Bandwidth: 20/40/80MHz
  • Control Sideband: None (Can't change this)

WPS is Disabled and 802.11 Mode is set to 802.11 a/n/ac/ax Mixed. All other setting are at their default values!

I have made the following changes to my WiFi configuration in an attempt to resolve the WiFi issue:

Band: 2.4GHz

• Channel: 3
  • Bandwidth: 20MHz

Band: 5GHz

• Channel: 56
  • Bandwidth: 20/40/80MHz

WPS is Disabled and 802.11 Mode is set to 802.11 a/n/ac/ax Mixed. All other setting are at their default values!

I am now waiting to find out if the changes I have made above fix my WiFi issue. Anyone else experienced this issue? 

If I can't resolve it, I will have to return the NR5101 to Amazon for a refund! 😔

Best Answers

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Hello @WelshPaul

I don't know if it will help you or if you want to try it, but the ABVC.3 firmware is available at https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/4403365084818-Advanced-Downloads-for-5G-devices if you wish to try a rollback.

Kind regards,
        Tony
  • WelshPaul
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Oh my... Rolling back the firmware hasn't resolved my WiFi issues after all! 🤬

It works for longer with the V3 firmware but eventually all of my devices lose WiFi and cannot re-authenticate unless I reboot the router. To clarify, I have fill WiFi signal on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz but nothing will authenticate! Ethernet works, phone port works but WiFi just gives up and crashes after an extended period of use.

I'm returning mine to Amazon for a refund! 

All Replies

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 825  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Hello @WelshPaul

I don't know if it will help you or if you want to try it, but the ABVC.3 firmware is available at https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/4403365084818-Advanced-Downloads-for-5G-devices if you wish to try a rollback.

Kind regards,
        Tony
  • WelshPaul
    Hi Tony and thank you for taking the time to reply to my request for help...

I had considered rolling back the firmware but wasn't sure if it was possible as many manufacturers prevent such things. Also, I don't even know if the updated firmware is the cause as I only had the device 12 hours when I got the update alert and updated the firmware.

Anyway, since making the changes I mentioned in my original post everything is working as it should, so I will hold off making any changes for now. If it happens again I will do as you suggest and roll back the firmware and hopefully that will fix my issue. 🤞
  • WelshPaul
    edited March 2022
    Well it just happened again!!!

The WiFi led stops flashing and goes a solid green.
    All of my devices connected via WiFi loose connection but Ethernet continues to work just fine.

I have rolled back to:
    • V1.00(ABVC.3)C0
    • RG502QEAAAR11A03M4G
    Factory reset the device for like the 10th time and restored a backup of my configuration. Not impressed!!! This thing has been on the market for a year and retails at over £500 and yet this thing is buggy as hell.

If it happens again I'm going to return the unit for a refund and get a Huawei.

EDIT: I just looked at the Amazon reviews (NR5101 has a poor rating overall) and someone else has left a review saying that their device also suffered from this issue and so I don't think rolling back the firmware is going to help. 😔

• WelshPaul
    Well after rolling back the firmware to the following version:
    • V1.00(ABVC.3)C0
    The router has been up for just over a day and the WiFi appears to be ok now. So it looks like the V1.00(ABVC.4)C0 firmware was the cause of the WiFi lockups!

• WelshPaul
    edited March 2022
    Well it's now March 6th and since rolling back the firmware I have not experienced any WiFi dropouts. 👍
  • WelshPaul
    edited March 2022 Answer ✓
    Oh my... Rolling back the firmware hasn't resolved my WiFi issues after all! 🤬

It works for longer with the V3 firmware but eventually all of my devices lose WiFi and cannot re-authenticate unless I reboot the router. To clarify, I have fill WiFi signal on both 2.4GHz and 5GHz but nothing will authenticate! Ethernet works, phone port works but WiFi just gives up and crashes after an extended period of use.

I'm returning mine to Amazon for a refund! 
  • WelshPaul
    You're going to think I'm nuts but on the 7th, I ordered another NR5101 and it was delivered on the 8th. It also came with the following pre-installed:
    • V1.00(ABVC.3)C0
    • RG502QEAAAR11A03M4G
    This time I set it up a new (same configuration) and this time I never updated the firmware to V1.00(ABVC.4)C0. It has now been up and running for 2 days straight without issue. I'm really hoping I haven't just jinxed myself by posting this!!! 🤞

I have returned the original NR5101, and I have received a refund. I did open a support ticket, but they were of no help. They denied that there was a V1.00(ABVC.4)C0 and when I provided screenshots to prove it existed they simply advised me to stay on V1.00(ABVC.3)C0.

So, I have no idea if the issue was firmware related or if the original device had a hardware fault. Anyway, I'm hoping this device continues to provide me with a reliable service.
  • WelshPaul
    WOW - So this one is doing the same thing!!! Clearly my original device didn't have a hardware fault after all, the firmware is to blame. I am returning this one too! 🤬
  • IceDiele
    IceDiele Posts: 2
    First Comment
    edited January 26

For me everything released after V1.00(ABVC.6)C0 is unstable.

I have noticed WiFi dropping with V1.00(ABVC.7)C0 and V1.00(ABVC.8)C0.

UPDATE: After Updating my module to RG502QEAACR13A04M4G_ZYXEL and using V1.00(ABVC.8)C0 the WiFi issue resolved

UPDATE 2: Software is full of bugs. I'm done with this. Returning.

• WelshPaul

I returned mine for a refund. Haven’t purchased any other Zyxel hardware since.

Consumer Product Help Center