NAS540 "Battery power exhaused" & "initiated Shutdown Sequence" errors not 'critical' category?

Is power loss and shutting down not critical events?
Title says it all, why are only critical errors allowed to send email alerts, and why aren't the power related errors in the critical category if only that category is allowed to trigger emails? (Using latest firmware. Email daily reports working fine send&receive.)

All Replies

• ikubuf
    ikubuf Posts: 134  Ally Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2022
    I do not consider a NAS can write down the log when there is a black out.
    The NAS should always stays in a stable and steady power supply environment and network environment.
    If it is needed to prevent the unexpected power surge or blackout, I think you need a UPS to make the power supply stable.
  • dougND
    dougND Posts: 4
    ikubuf said:
    I do not consider a NAS can write down the log when there is a black out.
    The NAS should always stays in a stable and steady power supply environment and network environment.
    If it is needed to prevent the unexpected power surge or blackout, I think you need a UPS to make the power supply stable.

I don't think you understood my post, these are in fact errors subsequent to communications with a UPS over USB. "Battery power exhausted" is from the UPS. It's an error the NAS logs as category 'notice' instead of 'critical'. Due to that, there will be no email notification of this VERY SERIOUS state/condition.
  • ikubuf
    ikubuf Posts: 134  Ally Member
    Are you in the latest firmware?
    Do you mean the severity( of the log is "notice" instead of "alert", so when there is notice of "Battery power exhausted"log from UPS, it will not send the email?

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    Why would a power client alert you that the power server told him to shutdown? It's more the responsibility of the server, don't you think?
    And from technical view there are also problems. Initiating a mail delivery while you are told to shutdown will delay that shutdown. Not much, but maybe too much. Further, when the grid power is down, in most cases it will not possible to send an email, because the switch/modem/... will be down.
  • dougND
    edited May 2022
    ikubuf said:
    Are you in the latest firmware?
    Do you mean the severity( of the log is "notice" instead of "alert", so when there is notice of "Battery power exhausted"log from UPS, it will not send the email?

yes, latest firmware and yes, the log severity of these events is notice versus higher like alert or critical.
  • dougND
    Mijzelf said:
    Why would a power client alert you that the power server told him to shutdown? It's more the responsibility of the server, don't you think?
    And from technical view there are also problems. Initiating a mail delivery while you are told to shutdown will delay that shutdown. Not much, but maybe too much. Further, when the grid power is down, in most cases it will not possible to send an email, because the switch/modem/... will be down.
    It's not so much a question of what device's responsibility it SHOULD be to be logging and relaying errors as always it depends on the customer's network. Critical error notification emails are a feature here so the customer is trying to utilize them, that's all. To be specific, this isn't a case with a power server at all; there is no software centrally running like powerchute from APC if that's what you assumed. The UPS doesn't have network access as the NAS does, the UPS messages are from directly connected USB. Regarding the mail send delaying shutdown you mention; it's inconsequential and the UPS should always be giving a warning over USB to the NAS with enough time for the NAS to shutdown gracefully; if email fails to send because site network equipment or the whole block's power is out (with off site ISP equipment) those are separate problems for the customer to address.

Consumer Product Help Center