NR7101 Module Upgrade failed

Options
BrandSafway
BrandSafway Posts: 20  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband
I have performed a firmware upgrade for a Zyxel 7101 that shipped with the following firmware:
Zyxel Shipped with:
Router firmware: 1.00(ABUV.2)C0
Modem firmware: RG502QEAAAR11A03M4G

I was able to update the device firmware to the latest official version, which is: 100ABUV5C0
and proceeded to update the modem module after I performed a factory reset.
I have done this as a precaution on 9 of these devices so far with no problems.

Modem module upgrade: RG502QEAAAR11A03M4G-RG502QEAAAR11A06M4G was successful, then I proceeded with RG502QEAAAR11A06M4G-RG502QEAAAR11A07M4G
I was able to ping the Zyxel and after it rebooted, the module version shows no information at all. It is just blank and when I try to restart the upgrade. The message is: Invalid image upload.

You can see that next to "Current LTE Module Version" its just blank.

I used new RJ45 network cables and it was not an image issue. I used the same images as before. How can I fix this state?

Can we please get a proper full module image and not just delta updates? It would save time and issues like this having to re-run the firmware updates. All the updates I have tried now fail, and I suspect that is because they are delta updates that do not match whatever is in the image that is now faulty.

All Replies

• SELBERG
    SELBERG Posts: 268  Master Member
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Try with a poweroff for about 2 minutes....
    If you have a sim, remove it before you upgrade...
  • BrandSafway
    Options
    Hi Selberg. I never run the upgrades with a SIM. As i believe that the issue with the "changing network" can lead to a bricked Zyxel during a flash. Whats the proper way to receive support from Zyxel is there a email address for RMA request?

Is there a way to get into the shell and run the upgrade via the shell?
  • Ivan_SC
    Ivan_SC Posts: 3
    First Anniversary
    edited August 2022
    Options
    The same happened to me when I upgraded to RG502QEAAAR11A06M4G but a factory reset and another try solved it. But I don't know if it works with R11A07M4G
  • BrandSafway
    Options
    I noticed when you upgrade to the newer modul firmware without a sim inserted you will have the blank space showing on newer device firmware versions than 05. Once you have a sim inserted it will show up. But it shows the version without SIM inserted with device version 05.
  • Yorgos
    Options
    > I was able to update the device firmware to the latest official version, which is: 100ABUV5C0

@BrandSafway I can't seem to find this version here (https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/4403365084818) ... any hints about where you found that ?

Thanks in advance! 
  • SELBERG
    SELBERG Posts: 268  Master Member
    Options
    Latest official is ABUV6
  • n_o
    n_o Posts: 35  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    edited September 2022
    Options
    -