NWA50AX standalone - minimum requirement for seamless roaming of clients?

Bellocarico
Bellocarico Posts: 15  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited August 2022 in WirelessLAN
I like Nebula but to be fair I find the standalone interface more practical for my usage.

There's one question I have though... what do I need to enable (in standalone) for multiple wired AP to talk to each other and share client information so that clients can roam seamlessly between APs? I don't see anything on the interface apart from fast roaming but it still doesn't tell me if and how the devices communicate amongst each other.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 875  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓

Dear Customer

Roaming is the behavior of clients handle with the difference AP. With the good AP deployment, seamless roaming exists.

802.11k/v will help APs through Ethernet get information about neighbor APs/SSID then share to the clients.

Judy

All Replies

• mMontana
    mMontana Posts: 1,298  Guru Member
    A compatible network controller and the support of 802.11k, r, v
  • Zyxel_Judy
    edited August 2022

Hi Bellocarico,

This FAQ shows you how to set up seamless wireless roaming in Controller mode: How to Set up Seamless Wireless Roaming? — Zyxel Community

You also can enable Fast roaming settings by click on 802.11r.

Judy

• jpblanch75
    jpblanch75 Posts: 98  Ally Member
    I like Nebula but to be fair I find the standalone interface more practical for my usage.

There's one question I have though... what do I need to enable (in standalone) for multiple wired AP to talk to each other and share client information so that clients can roam seamlessly between APs? I don't see anything on the interface apart from fast roaming but it still doesn't tell me if and how the devices communicate amongst each other.

Thanks!
    Do you have Fast roaming as an option is standalone mode?  My NWA210AX APs didn't last I checked but that was a few Firmware ago so I went back to Nebula Cloud control for fast roaming.
  • jpblanch75

Hi Bellocarico,

This FAQ shows you how to set up seamless wireless roaming in Standalone mode: How to Set up Seamless Wireless Roaming? — Zyxel Community

You also can enable Fast roaming settings by click on 802.11r.

These are instructions for use with a Controller.
  • Bellocarico
    mMontana said:
    A compatible network controller and the support of 802.11k, r, v
    Are you suggesting a network controller is needed for seamless roaming to work properly?
  • Bellocarico

Thanks!
    Do you have Fast roaming as an option is standalone mode?  My NWA210AX APs didn't last I checked but that was a few Firmware ago so I went back to Nebula Cloud control for fast roaming.

I do have fast roaming and each device see each other in the Overview - Ethernet neighbor. Is it safe to assume devices peer to each other to share client information and make fast roaming happen? Or is a network controller really needed?
  • jpblanch75

Thanks!

I do have fast roaming and each device see each other in the Overview - Ethernet neighbor. Is it safe to assume devices peer to each other to share client information and make fast roaming happen? Or is a network controller really needed?
    Fast roaming it's mostly device controlled. The device needs to see both networks at its roaming point.  So basically for fast roaming to function the APs coverage need to overlap each other.  Also be aware that Apple phones aren't very good roamers.  
    I currently use Nebula with fast roaming enabled and it works fine.  In standalone mode you couldn't enable fast roaming so I'm wondering if that option has been added.  That's my question.
  • Zyxel_Judy

Thanks!

Dear customer,

There is no fast roaming (802.11r) as an option in standalone mode, just 802.11k/v.

Judy

• Zyxel_Judy

Thanks!

Dear Bellocarico,

It is okay if you would like to make roaming in standalone mode. To ensure the roaming can be used, please:

l/  Keep at least 15% to 20% overlapping coverage for APs nearby.

lI/  Same SSID name and Security settings.

Note here: 

•       Roaming is a mechanism for a client to connect to the other access point while remaining connected to the network, so you don’t need to do any configuration.

•       Client will roam automatically when signal goes lower than a value.

•       If there’s no same SSID nearby, client will keep connecting in bad signal until can’t receive it anymore.

Judy

• Bellocarico

Thanks!

Dear Bellocarico,

It is okay if you would like to make roaming in standalone mode. To ensure the roaming can be used, please:

l/  Keep at least 15% to 20% overlapping coverage for APs nearby.

lI/  Same SSID name and Security settings.

Note here: 

•       Roaming is a mechanism for a client to connect to the other access point while remaining connected to the network, so you don’t need to do any configuration.

•       Client will roam automatically when signal goes lower than a value.

•       If there’s no same SSID nearby, client will keep connecting in bad signal until can’t receive it anymore.

I'm very familiar with roaming, please note the title of this thread clearly specifies:

seamless roaming