NAS326 web gui stuck in NFS package update loop after fw update to 5.21

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    @AlexSA On a NAS326 you don't need ffp for ssh access. The NAS supports ssh and telnet out of the box. You only have to enable it in the webinterface (which is for you, currently, of course a problem).
    The CloudAgent indeed is automagically installed. The package 'Tweaks' has an option to block that.
    About the browser console, it might be that the error is caused by the ffp package. At the place of the error the script tries to provide a link or button for the webinterface of an installed package, and errors out because it doesn't check if such an interface actually exists. Ffp doesn't have a webinterface, so it could trigger this error. I doubt if that causes your error, as more people have ffp installed, and it was never a (blocking) error.

@ariek MetaRepository did install the packages from the ZyXEL server, until half a year ago, when ZyXEL cleaned up their server, and removed the packages (and firmware, docs, ...) for all NSA boxes, and the NAS520. The latter was a mistake, I suppose, but it was never reverted.
    With MR installed, the package manager queries the internal server for the packages, and MR forwards that to one or more external servers. If the URL of the external server as provided to MR has a '+', that is exchanged by the path of the requested file. This way MR can access the right directory on the ZyXEL server without having to know the NAS type and firmware version, as that is provided by the package manager.
    You created a local repository, which is fine. You could also have exchanged the ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/+ url by ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/NAS540/5.21/zypkgs/ (or whatever the exact path is)

• AlexSA
    AlexSA Posts: 26  Freshman Member
    10 Comments
    edited August 2022
    Mijzelf, can you tell me please how to check if SSH is enabled on the box, but from the command line? then i can try removing FFP just in case that may be the issue. thanks v much. when i first connect after a reboot i get busybox, then ffp.

do you have any other suggestions what i can try please? other than full reset (what does a 3 beep reset do, how confident are we it'll come up ok?). i'm considering restoring NFS package and just using the box without any webui, but that's less than ideal as inevitably i'll need it at some point. I only need an NFS server for now!

ariek, that's very good to know i can do that, thanks, i'll be useful maybe now and definitely when Zyxel pulls support for this box..

• Mijzelf
    can you tell me please how to check if SSH is enabled on the box, but from the command line?
    I don't know. It's some flag in a settings file, but ZyXEL uses several settings files in different formats.
    If you never enabled it, it is not enabled. The firmware sshd cannot run simultaneously with the ffp one, at least not on the same port. So you can't simply look if it's running.

what does a 3 beep reset do
    It erases a partition on flash, containing all user settings (including the 'enabled' flags of all packages), and deletes one or two cache files on the data partition.
    how confident are we it'll come up ok?
    As far as I know (by reading this forum and some other) webinterface problems are always cured by a factory reset. But of course your problem could be different. If you have moved all your packages from .PKG, and performed a factory reset, the box is basically virginal. If the webinterface doesn't come up then, you have either a hardware problem, or a bug in the firmware. The latter is unlikely, as others don't have this problem. And a hardware problem, well, it's hard to think of a problem with this symptoms. But not impossible.

You could try to boot the box without disks. If the webinterface still doesn't work, it's not your packages.
  • ariek
    ariek Posts: 30  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    edited August 2022
    Mijzelf said:
    You created a local repository, which is fine. You could also have exchanged the ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/+ url by ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/NAS540/5.21/zypkgs/ (or whatever the exact path is)

At some point it stopped working so I had to find a solution.
    It never occurred to me to change/extend the download link with the exact path to the correct file location. Too obvious I guess.

For other NAS520 owners these are the correct lines for MetaRepository

ftp.zyxel.com/NAS540/zypkg/5.21/
    ftp2.zyxel.com/NAS540/zypkg/5.21/

• AlexSA
    10 Comments
    Mijzelf thanks for your advice, it's much appreciated.
    i'll pull the hdd and try that next, just been trying to set the clients up...
  • AlexSA
    10 Comments
    hey guess what! i pulled the HDD, interface came right up :astonished: i had no idea the storage was used this way sorry! and SSH was enabled, I thought i had but wasn't sure.

OK great, finally getting somewhere here!

So I could now wipe the volume and start again (not sure I had anything important on this NAS), or i can try disabling more packages (FFP I think was only one i didn't try). or i could do a reset, which hopefully fixes the problem without losing everything on the HDD.

Either, this is a nasty issue Zyxel, if someone with an in-use NAS did this and had this happen that'd be bad news.
  • AlexSA
    10 Comments
    edited August 2022
    ok it *was* FFP that was stopping my box webui starting! after removing that via SSH, box starts ok. Well, except that packages all showed broken (sorry i didnt screenshot this bit) except the zyxel cloud thing. so i tried removing and reinstalling NFS, Metarepo and RandomTools.

i have a few problems now:
    1) icons aren't showing up right (see pic), and similar on installed packages. Any ideas what this means please?

2) FFP has vanished from the list of available packages, any ideas how to get it back please? i have the backup in /admin but unsure why it's not showing as install-able.
    3) randomtools seems broken, for example if i run rsync i get:
    root@NAS326:~# rsync<br>/i-data/099df5e4/.PKG/RandomTools/bin/rsync-3.1.1: error while loading shared libraries: /i-data/099df5e4/.PKG/RandomTools/lib/libiconv.so.2: file too short
    4) I have lost my NFS config :(, i will probably have to just set it up again, but need a command line editor which is part of randomtools or ffp? to do this. nano was it called?
    5) box wants to install a new firmware, is that ok? i think i'll wait until other issues resolved! "V5.21(AAZF.12) is ready to upgrade" (currently on .11).

umm that's about where I am. sorry. :|

many thanks again all.
    A

edit: similar issues trying to run other randomtools binaries, e.g.
    root@NAS326:~# htop<br>Error opening terminal: xterm-256color.<br>root@NAS326:~# nano<br>Error opening terminal: xterm-256color.

is this because they don't work in busybox, or my install is messed up?

• AlexSA
    10 Comments
    edited August 2022
    ok restored my backup of FFP, and surprisingly that seems to work, judging by the SSH console. "Welcome to FFP..."

that hasn't solved these errors see below!

root@NAS326:~# nano<br><br>Error opening terminal: xterm-256color.
    edit:
    OK "export TERM=xterm" fixed apps like htop and nano! great (can i make this permanent somewhere? why is this so messed up..)

lastly, any ideas please why these icons look all broken (and why are my packages all so old, 2016?): 

• AlexSA
    10 Comments
    edited August 2022
    (edit, forum went weird this post was out of place sorry!)
  • Mijzelf
    Hm. According to your screenshots you are running MetaRepository 013. I looked at the releasenotes and found:

20161021zypkg014:
    Added support for firmware 5.20
    20160513zypkg013:
    Added support for the curl downloader
    Squashed a small bug causing a 'permission denied' line in the logs

The main point in firmware 5.20 is that it added those package images. The older version of MR strips them from the ZYPKG_INFO files (or better, does not add them to the generated file).
    I guess your MR is still pointing to nas-central.org for the 3th party packages, which exists no longer.
    I think the best you can do is now remove MR, and reinstall it using the instructions

Consumer Product Help Center