Nas520 firmware

Hello! Tell me if it is possible to update the firmware of nas 520, recently caught "chekmate" security has not been updated for a long time! Maybe install the firmware from the nas 542 model, do you think this is possible? How can you protect nas from the likes of the "chekmate" cryptographer.

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    I think the 540 or 542 firmware should run fine on the 520. Unless ZyXEL build something in that fails when only 2 sata ports are detected. To be able to install 542 firmware, you have to change the box ID in the bootloader environment from B203 to B403 (or B103 if you want to use 540 firmware). That changing can be done using the commandline tools fw_printenv and fw_setenv, which can be found in /firmware/sbin, when I'm not mistaken. After you changed the box ID and rebooted, it should be possible to install 542 firmware using the webinterface function.
    Of course I'm not guaranteeing anything. Maybe it will kill your box.

It might be a good idea to read the releasenotes of the latest 542 firmware (can be found on ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/) to see if any of the security problems you are afraid for are resolved in the newer firmwares, before risking your NAS.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    I think the 540 or 542 firmware should run fine on the 520. Unless ZyXEL build something in that fails when only 2 sata ports are detected. To be able to install 542 firmware, you have to change the box ID in the bootloader environment from B203 to B403 (or B103 if you want to use 540 firmware). That changing can be done using the commandline tools fw_printenv and fw_setenv, which can be found in /firmware/sbin, when I'm not mistaken. After you changed the box ID and rebooted, it should be possible to install 542 firmware using the webinterface function.
    Of course I'm not guaranteeing anything. Maybe it will kill your box.

It might be a good idea to read the releasenotes of the latest 542 firmware (can be found on ftp://ftp2.zyxel.com/) to see if any of the security problems you are afraid for are resolved in the newer firmwares, before risking your NAS.

• Pampam
    Pampam Posts: 4
    thanks

• Mijzelf
    Correction: it's info_printenv and info_setenv. In this thread you can find some pointers on the usage.
  • Type your commentHello!I downloaded the sbin folder, and how to open these files with a txt notepad, right?On windows 10 they open with hieroglyphs.
  • Mijzelf
    Those files are executables, which have to be executed on the NAS, in an ssh shell.
  • Ок, :)
  • Mijzelf
    Meanwhile I found in this thread that
    /firmware/sbin/mrd_model -s B403
    might do the trick.

• vinprom
    vinprom Posts: 15  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Do you done with this "trick" and whats is result?
    And why Zyxel stopped support this nas 520 server?
    It's a shame that they dump their products like that. Even this server  is no longer on their list! But there are support older versions. I can not understand?! I will change the manufacturer to another brand! These are obviously amateurs!
    They sell you their products and after a year or two the support dies so you buy a new one. Yes, but not this brand this time!

• vinprom
    vinprom Posts: 15  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Ehooо is there any result from this update trick?
  • Mijzelf - in the end is this command below what was needed? I would like to upgrade by NAS520 to the latest Twonky and apparently for Zyxel the product is like non-existent. Has anyone tried running the below and upgrading to the latest 542 firmware - 521ABAG9C0 ?

/firmware/sbin/mrd_model -s B403 

Consumer Product Help Center