sunef
sunef Posts: 11
First Anniversary First Comment
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband
Serial number: S220Z17002405
Firmware version: V1.00(ABQU.4)C0

Unable to show logs, just getting a dialog box with a warning,
the same for both types of logs.
 Will this be corrected in a new firmware release?

Best Answers

• Bob_C
    Bob_C Posts: 165  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Hi Sune, 

Thanks for bringing up ad blocker's effect to the log page. 

In terms of no logs showing even after disabling uBlock Origin: 
    1. did you enable Local Logging (Maintenance > Log Settings > Syslog Setting)?

2. If you did enable Local Logging, please log out the user interface, log in again, and go to Log page (System Monitor > Log > System Log), check if there's any logs there. 

Regards

Bob
  • sunef
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for your answer, I wrongly believed that the syslog logging only had effect on remote logging. Activated "Syslog logging" and logged out and in again and now there are entries in the log.
    Everything is now clear and OK for me, thanks again.

Regards Sune

All Replies

• Bob_C
    Hi sunef, 

Few questions regarding this case: 
    1. How often do you see such error message? 
    2. Do you only see such error message on Log page or do you also see the error message on other pages?
    3. When the error message shows up, does it help if you log out/log in and access the same page again?
    4. When the error message shows up, does it help if you reboot and access the same page again?

Thank you. 

Regards, 

Bob
  • sunef
    1. It only shows at the first visit to the log page. 
    2. Only on the log page.
    3. No
    4. No

To eliminate most external causes I tested again.

1. Used Edge browser on Windows 10 22H2 after having inactivated all additions such as uBlock Origin and Privacy Badger
    2. Restored factory settings, entered new password and set up a minimal configuration with the assistant.
    3. None of the logs shows anything - both are empty. It is possible to clear the log and to fetch the log but the fetched log is an empty file.
    4. Shut down the router and removed the SIM-card. Restarted the router and logged in. Both logs are empty even without SIM-card. I wanted to eliminate the SIM-card as problem cause.
    5. Tried to show logs but by using Firefox as a browser. In this case I get the Warning  message "It is impossible to retrieve the information now. Please try again".

The logging functionality seems totally to be missing.

• sunef
    The warning message seems  to be triggered by ad/content-blockers.
    Used Safari on an iPhone - adblocker active gives the warning message and if I deactivate content blocking there is no warning message but empty logs.

Regards Sune

PS I can live without logs but it's irritating with missing functionality.
  • sunef
    edited November 2022
    I had another look at the "problem". The warning is only returned when I'm using an adblocker such as uBlock Origin.
    The log from the adblocker shows that it blocks the answer on the string "Log?action="
    The full request is ".../cgi-bin/Log?action=GET_LOG&oid=RDM_OID_LOG_CLASSIFY&iid=[1,0,0,0,0,0]"

The origin of the ad filter is EasyPrivacy. The warning message is not a problem as I can disable the ad blocker but the real problem is the empty logs. I have marked all categories in Maintenance - Log settings - Active Log.

Regards Sune

Log from Firefox/uBlocker Origin

• sunef
    edited November 2022
    Text deleted

• Bob_C
    Answer ✓
    Hi Sune, 

Thanks for bringing up ad blocker's effect to the log page. 

In terms of no logs showing even after disabling uBlock Origin: 
    1. did you enable Local Logging (Maintenance > Log Settings > Syslog Setting)?

2. If you did enable Local Logging, please log out the user interface, log in again, and go to Log page (System Monitor > Log > System Log), check if there's any logs there. 

Regards

Bob
  • sunef
    Answer ✓
    Thanks for your answer, I wrongly believed that the syslog logging only had effect on remote logging. Activated "Syslog logging" and logged out and in again and now there are entries in the log.
    Everything is now clear and OK for me, thanks again.

Regards Sune

Consumer Product Help Center