NAS326 not working

Options
Hi,

I own a NAS326. I bought it in 2020 and it was working nicely since then.
For no known reason middle of this week it is having problems. Windows 10 was updated from Win10 end of last week, but I was able to copy data on the NAS after the update with Win11.

-It is powering up.
-A fix IP address is assigned by the router.
-It is answering a PING request on the assigned IP.
-The Samba shares are not reachable in Win11 (and in Total Commander on Android)
-The webadmin page is not loading in Firefox or Chrome
-I reset the password and am able to SSH to the box, so something is working on the machine.

What can I do to make this NAS work again?

All Replies

• bekesizl
    Options
    Tried my luck with the Rescue stick.
    With firmware "NAS326_V5.21(AAZF.9)C0.zip" the System LED started lighting red after a few minutes.
    With Firmware "NAS326_V5.21(AAZF.10)C0.zip" it was only blinking for half an hour until I shut down the NAS.
    USB Stick LED was blinking.

I also tried loading a firmware on a USB stick. It was also unsuccessful.
  • Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Have you tried a full factory reset? (keep the reset pin pressed until it has beeped three times).
    If that doesn't work, have a look at the kernel log over ssh. Maybe it shows hardware errors. You can see the kernel log by executing 'dmesg'.
  • bekesizl
    bekesizl Posts: 5
    First Comment
    edited November 2022
    Options
    Thank you for the reply!

I tried the full factory reset before, but did it once again.
    Attached is a logfile after a restart after the full factory reset.

The only strange things I see (my Linux knowledge is very poor) are these:
    armada-nand f10d0000.nand: Initialize HAL based NFC in 8bit mode with DMA Disabled using BCH 4bit ECC
    NAND device: Manufacturer ID: 0xc2, Chip ID: 0xda (Macronix NAND 256MiB 3,3V 8-bit), 256MiB, page size: 2048, OOB size: 64
    Bad block table found at page 131008, version 0x01
    Bad block table found at page 130944, version 0x01
    7 ofpart partitions found on MTD device armada-nand
    Creating 7 MTD partitions on "armada-nand":

IPv6: ADDRCONF(NETDEV_CHANGE): egiga0: link becomes ready
    EXT4-fs (dm-3): warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
    EXT4-fs (dm-3): recovery complete
    EXT4-fs (dm-3): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: usrquota,data=ordered,barrier=1
    EXT4-fs (dm-2): recovery complete
    EXT4-fs (dm-2): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)
    EXT4-fs (dm-1): warning: mounting fs with errors, running e2fsck is recommended
    EXT4-fs (dm-1): recovery complete
    EXT4-fs (dm-1): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: usrquota,data=ordered,barrier=1
    EXT4-fs (dm-0): recovery complete
    EXT4-fs (dm-0): mounted filesystem with ordered data mode. Opts: (null)

JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = dm-3, blocknr = 0). There's a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.
    JBD2: Spotted dirty metadata buffer (dev = dm-3, blocknr = 0). There's a risk of filesystem corruption in case of system crash.
    EXT4-fs (dm-3): error count: 22439
    EXT4-fs (dm-3): initial error at 1592758042: htree_dirblock_to_tree:920: inode 103418960: block 827330891
    EXT4-fs (dm-3): last error at 1669476321: ext4_mb_generate_buddy:755
    EXT4-fs (dm-1): error count: 152
    EXT4-fs (dm-1): initial error at 1629066113: ext4_mb_generate_buddy:755
    EXT4-fs (dm-1): last error at 1669098929: ext4_mb_generate_buddy:755

The device has both HDD slots populated. There is no RAID. Both disks have their own JBOD (probably) partitions.

If we cannot save this NAS, the data should be accessible with an external SATA adapter from a LINUX PC to copy on another device?

• Mijzelf
    Options
    It looks like you have severe filesystem errors on device dm-3. Can you see if it's mounted? If not, you can try to repair it.

cat /proc/partitions
    cat /proc/mounts

When it is not mounted, you can run

su
    e2fsck /dev/dm-3

If we cannot save this NAS, the data should be accessible with an external SATA adapter from a LINUX PC to copy on another device?
    Yes, ZyXEL only uses stock Linux constructions. Yet it is possible the data partition won't be mounted automatically, as it is on a logical volume in a single disk raid array. So the raid array has to be assembled, and the logical volume manager has to find the embedded volume. Maybe that has to be initiated manually.
  • bekesizl
    Options
    Thank you again!
    I was unable to unmount dm-3 (command ran for multiple hours) and run fsck.

But after that I tried to remove the HDDs one by one.
    Zyxel was able to boot with only one HDD and was unable to boot with both or the second one alone.
    That makes me think, that the second HDD has a failure.

I will try to get my data of that drive with the help of a more experienced relative.

Maybe I will be able to run fsck on it and save it (at least most of the data), if I connect it to an virtual Linux machine on my Windows PC with a USB-SATA adapter.

What exactly is this dm-3 partition?
  • trichome3
    Options
    Factory reset was worth going for. I got the problem solved. Thank you. 
  • Mijzelf
    Options
    What exactly is this dm-3 partition?

It's logical volume on a (single disk) raid array. I *think* it's on your 2nd disk.

command ran for multiple hours

A filesystem can only be umounted when there are no open files on it. That is hard, as the firmware starts several daemons with open files on the system volume. But it is possible to use the firmware shutdown script to do the heavy lifting for you. I wrote about that here. (Read between the html tags. Stupid forum software.)

• bekesizl
    Options
    For some unkown (and strange) reason the NAS started working again (so I haven't tried the commands yet). 
    Before it I tried to mount the "faulty" HDD in an Ubuntu VMWare machine and connect it as an external drive to the NAS via USB.

Now I built it in again and the NAS started with a long beep after some time. Both disks are visible online and the webadmin is also working.
    CPU load is at 100% with 2-3 phyton processes eating up most of the resources. Sometimes I see also ffmpeg.
    I don't have Twonky media server (it was on for some times an I switched it off) or iTunes or anything beside defaults switched on.

We will see how it behaves the next days.

Consumer Product Help Center