iwpriv(kickmac)

Options
Wookie
Wookie Posts: 46  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited November 2023 in Nebula
Hi Zyxel-support

first of all I wish you happy holidays and all the best for the upcoming year. I have 3x NWA1123-ACv2 which are managed via Nebula. They broadcast the same SSID (NWA2.4) on both 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz. They work very well so far but recently I noticed that in conjunction with my iPad 8th Gen I get the following report in the log:

Station: XX:XX:XX:a3:eb:3d has disassoc by iwpriv(kickmac) on Channel: 36, SSID: NWA2.4, 5GHz, Signal: -62dBm, Tx/Rx: 860104507/14449940 Bytes. reason 5, Interface:wlan-2

It seems that it switches between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz even though the signal is around -60dbm on 5Ghz and around -55dbm on 2.4Ghz. I enabled 802.11 k/v but not 802.11r. Band select is turned off. I would like to use 802.11 k/v as it helps to roam faster.

Could you please have a look at my logs, I granted access to the site called Dietikon.

I already opened a thread and thought its better to open a new one for better traceability.

The switching between the frequencies causes short interruptions while streaming TV/movies.

UPDATE: Meanwhile it happened to other clients too, I appreciate any help to get rid of the interruptions.

all the best

Andrew

All Replies

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 440  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @Wookie

If the device switches between 2.4Ghz and 5Ghz, we’ll check signal coverage and the other factors in the environment such as channel utilization.

According to the log reason 5 that is generally regards as station was kicked out by the AP by triggering the load balance.

Could you check again of the support enable option and click Save because we are still not able to access your site.

Please also provides the other client’s MAC address besides XX:XX:XX:a3:eb:3d.

Thank you and wish you have a great new year!

Regards,

Bella

• Wookie
    Options
    Hi Bella

thanks for the quick reply. I just double-checked the support request option, the other clients MAC-address is: XX:XX:5a:cc:78:47.

The site is called Dietikon

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 440  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @Wookie

We’ve download the diagnostic file of AP-Eingang that both devices had issue when connecting to it.

The debug message shows the AP had Tx/Rx issue on radio 5GHz with the devices in some period, and that is why AP triggered steering to keep providing service for devices. When AP detects abnormal state and recovers to normal state on 5GHz the devices then can connect back.

And we found the situation only happens on AP-Eingang, thus, it’s suggested to change the channel on the AP to the channel which non-overlapped with other APs and use 20MHz channel width to prevent interference. These changes can help AP have clean resource as much as possible.

Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• Wookie
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hi Bella

many thanks for the quick reply, the outcome is very interesting. I changed the 5Ghz channel from AP-Eingang to 136 and turned off DCS. I thought I will leave DCS on in order to search for the best channel automatically. I also switched to 20Mhz and hope it solves the issue.

UPDATE: I changed the channel as well as the width, the transmit-speed on 20Mhz is extremly low (around 3-5 Mbits) and the PC is around 3 meters away from AP-Eingang. I changed it back to 40Mhz and fixed channel 136. Lets see if it gets better.

anyway, I appreciate your quick support a lot, thats why I always recommend Zyxel in terms of networking-hardware ;)
  • Wookie
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Hi Bella

unfortunately I still got the same error with the client XX:XX:F0:A3:EB:3D and XX:XX:5A:CC:78:47. As mentioned above I changed the channel to 136 on AP-Eingang with 40Mhz bandwith. I scanned the environment with a Wifi-app and and on channel 136 there is on other SSID online which could cause interferences.

Could you please check the logs again? The throughput on 20Mhz is not acceptable and I would be glad to profit from 5Ghz-speed for my devices.

here is a screenshot if my surrounding Wifi-networks. On 5ghz there is just one SSID on channel 124 but the signal is very weak.

UPDATE: I gave 20Mhz on 5Ghz for AP-Eingang another try and I get around 100-120Mbit of speed. I will observe if the error is still occuring and let you know. maybe the fixed channel and 20Mhz can solve the issue.

many thanks
  • Wookie
    edited January 2023
    Options
    Hi Bella

Unfortunately I still have iwpriv kickmac issues in the log with the clients XX:XX:XX:a3:eb:3d, XX:XX:14:99:49:5C and XX:XX:93:A3:43:DD. Could you please have again a look at the log-files, I cant find any obvious reason why this happens.

Does it happen because I have turned on 802.11k/v or does this feature has no impact?

Nebula Tips & Tricks