NWA50AX - after some time of use (several hours) is not responding (wifi disappears etc ...

pk73
pk73 Posts: 5
First Comment
edited November 2023 in Nebula
NWA50AX - after some time of use (several hours) AP is not responding (wifi disappears etc ...). After reboot (power OFF/ON) is working 1+ hour and the situation repeats itself. Firmware is latest - V6.29(ABYW.1). I tried working AP in standalone and in nebula mode and result is the same.... In log's nothing specials happenings...

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 528  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer

There could be several reasons why your access point is not broadcasting its SSID. Here are some troubleshooting steps you can try: 

1. Go to Nebula CC >> Access point >> Monitor >> Access points and check if the configuration status is up to date. 

2. Verify that the features configured on your access point are supported by the NWA50AX. You can refer to the device function table at Nebula CC >> Device function table >> SB Access point to check for supported features. Please note that the SSID may be turned off if non-supported features marked with "!" are applied to the NWA50AX. 

If none of these steps help, please enable Zyxel support at Nebula CC >> Help center >> Support request and provide us with your organization/site name so we can investigate further.

For more clearly identify your issue, please kindly provide us your network topology, the time that the issue occurred, what is configured/changed before the event, AP’s firmware version and AP LED status at the time of the problem. Thanks! =) 

Kay 

Kay

• pk73
    First Comment
    thx for answer. i enable Help center >> Support request - but as i wrote after couple hour AP is rebooting and not responding (led turn green but AP wifi is not visible and AP is down from nebula and local network until I power off and on )....
  • Zyxel_Kay

Thanks for enabling Zyxel support! 

As monitoring your device from yesterday, it is working normally so far, we would greatly appreciate your assistance in gathering more information about the problem that you are experiencing. In order to do this, we would like to request that you use the diagnostic function on your device if the problem reoccurs next time. 

Could you please help us by collecting a diagnostic file and send to us through private message from the local GUI >> Maintenance >> Diagnostic when the problem reoccurs again before performing a "cold start" (power off/on)? This will allow us to gather more detailed information that may help us identify the root cause of the problem. 

Kay 

Kay

• pk73
    First Comment
    Strangly is working so far ;-)  As soon as the problem recurs I will do as suggested - thanks for your help
  • pk73
    First Comment
    at ~9.40 my local time (gmt+1) AP is crash/disapir - is not responding and I not know how to reach is local GUI??? (led is green but wifi is not visible - AP IP is not reachable anymore .... - so how to gather diagnostic date - without cold restart (power OFF-ON)????
  • Zyxel_Kay

Hi @pk73

To troubleshoot your issue, we suggest trying to connect a PC to your router with a wired connection and downloading the diagnostic file through the local IP of the AP. If AP’s IP address can’t be found in the router DHCP table, you can try installing the ZON utility on your PC to locate your Zyxel device and access the local IP of the AP. If AP can be found on ZON but the IP address is 0.0.0.0, you may use ZON to configure static IP which is in the same subnet of your PC.  

If these methods do not work, please provide us with a video recording of the current condition of your AP and send it to us via private message. We appreciate your assistance in resolving this issue. Thank you! 

Kay  

Kay

• pk73
    First Comment
    i send you zip'ed video of my AP - i have not luck to connect to my AP (direct connect to ap with lan cable) and use zon utility...

pk73
  • Zyxel_Kay

Hi @pk73

It appears that the recurring issues with your AP are likely due to a hardware problem. To resolve this, we recommend reaching out to your vendor to initiate the RMA process. Thank you!  

Kay 

Kay

• StefanZ
    StefanZ Posts: 160  Master Member

I have the (exact?) same problem – with a batch of NWA50AX.

I install them, they work fine, after some hours they start to fail.

Updating our L3-switches (HP1920-PoE that power them) to the latest firmware made things even worse: The APs don't even receive a DHCP-IP anymore – which they did before.

So yesterday I reset two of them, installed it all fresh (both in normal AP Mode, same SSID, PoE, static IP). Both worked and gave good range and speed.

This morning neither AP would hand out DHCP-IPs to the clients. One was reachable via its IP, I could login and reboot. The other one seems to somehow have locked up – I see the login, but it rejects the password I set (and which worked yesterday) and lost its hostname too. It was not reset either, because the default login also does not work. I confirmed it worked via VPN just 8 hours before.

I have one of those APs here at home as well (hooked up to a simple Netgear VLAN switch) – and it has been working like a charm for months. While the 3-pack I installed for my customer seem to hang in less than a day.

I suspect it to be somehow related to the L3-switches.
    When resetting and hooking them up in DHCP mode, the switches show some LLAP infos about the APs, but don't hand any requests over to the DHCP server (a Zyxel FLEX200). I turned off LLAP on the switches for now, since it gave me some other headaches as well and am planning of setting up the DHCP-relay for proper DHCP-renewals. But the rest of the LAN-members seem to be working alright as of now.

The crapped out NWA50AX just did not appear as a problem, because they were automatically falling back to their old WiFi connection (which is now gone).

There are no VLANs or subnets in the LAN so far.

The fact that they work great and then stop doing that quite randomly is rather annoying :-)

• Zyxel_Kay

Hi @StefanZ

To help you troubleshoot the root cause of the problem you're experiencing with the NWA50AX, we kindly request your assistance and information for debugging.  

Please provide us the following details: 

1. Are all three of the NWA50AX experiencing the same issue? 
    2. Are the access points powered by the HP1920-PoE switch? Each NWA50AX draws 16W, so please ensure that the PoE power budget is sufficient. 
    3. What is the current firmware version of those NWA50AX APs? 
    4. What is the LED status of those APs when encountering the issue? 

Additionally, we have a couple of requests for further debugging: 

1. If possible, could you try replacing the HP1920-PoE switch with another switch and observe whether the problem persists? 
    2. Alternatively, if the issue reoccurs, please try resetting the switch only and observe whether the problem persists. 

We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to resolving the problem. 

Kay 

Kay

Nebula Tips & Tricks