samba-replacment issue network environment

Options
tomtom_38
tomtom_38 Posts: 7  Freshman Member
First Anniversary First Comment

https://zyxel.diskstation.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=24

Hello, i instal the replacment package exactly in the way i can find in this link.

I do it a second time and the message is that it installed in root and up to date.

but the smbd comand show me the old version?

I ask because I can connect to samba shares manual, but in the network environment i cant see the zyxel NAS. It works again If I activate smb 1.0 client option.

i use an 325v2

is that normal???

thanks for support

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,613  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

That can be normal. The 'replacement package' doesn't actually replace the smbd binary, but installs a second on (in /opt/bin/ in contrast to the firmware /usr/bin). The startscript (/opt/etc/init.d/99sambareplacement) hooks the samba startscript (/etc/init.d/samba.sh) to start the optware smbd instead of the firmware one. Which binary actually will be called when you execute 'smbd —version' depends on your PATH.

I can connect to samba shares manual, but in the network environment i cant see the zyxel NAS. It works again If I activate smb 1.0 client option.

In smb 1.0 the peer discovery was based on netbios broadcasts. In smb 2 that is changed, it's now dependent on mDNS. Apparently the stock firmware doesn't implement this, and the new samba doesn't either, or it's not configured.

Sorry, that package was actually a quickfix for someone else who couldn't use smb1 anymore due to a company laptop with policies. When other people asked me for the script I provided it for download. But it's not very mature.

When you really need network discovery, you could look if you can install an Entware avahi daemon, or something like that.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,613  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

That can be normal. The 'replacement package' doesn't actually replace the smbd binary, but installs a second on (in /opt/bin/ in contrast to the firmware /usr/bin). The startscript (/opt/etc/init.d/99sambareplacement) hooks the samba startscript (/etc/init.d/samba.sh) to start the optware smbd instead of the firmware one. Which binary actually will be called when you execute 'smbd —version' depends on your PATH.

I can connect to samba shares manual, but in the network environment i cant see the zyxel NAS. It works again If I activate smb 1.0 client option.

In smb 1.0 the peer discovery was based on netbios broadcasts. In smb 2 that is changed, it's now dependent on mDNS. Apparently the stock firmware doesn't implement this, and the new samba doesn't either, or it's not configured.

Sorry, that package was actually a quickfix for someone else who couldn't use smb1 anymore due to a company laptop with policies. When other people asked me for the script I provided it for download. But it's not very mature.

When you really need network discovery, you could look if you can install an Entware avahi daemon, or something like that.

• tomtom_38
    tomtom_38 Posts: 7  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary First Comment
    Options

Ok, thanks for your work to stay alive Zyxel NAS.

I check this, and iam glad that I can use it for a while with this config.

Free NAS is the future i think

Consumer Product Help Center