How do I install the Entware repo? (NAS 540)

Options
Enderger
Enderger Posts: 3  Freshman Member
edited November 2020 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hi all,
I just wanted to ask how to install the Entware (non-ng) repo on a Zyxel 540 NAS, as I am trying to get rsync working to back up my main computer. (I know about the guide on the site, however it is very ambiguous on several things)
Thanks,
-Daniel

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,618  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You should create a file /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/USRPKG_DEPS_START containing a line 'entware':

touch /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/USRPKG_DEPS_START
    chmod +x /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/USRPKG_DEPS_START
    echo entware > /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/USRPKG_DEPS_START

AND create an executable script /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/entware, which contains the start script.

The script /etc/init.d/zypkg_controller.sh is executed on boot, and will execute all scripts listed in USRPKG_DEPS_START, as long as they are located in /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/, with the argument 'startup'. The same is done at shutdown, for all scripts listed in USRPKG_DEPS_SHUTDOWN, with the argument 'shutdown'.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Options
    Which guide are you referring to, and how is it ambiguous?
  • Enderger
    Options
    I am referring to the one in the Entware wiki. It says to create a shell script in the /i-pkgs folder with some bootup content, however it does not specify what it needs to be named (it says to create a file with "entware" in it, but I tried making an executable shell script with that name in the same directory and it did not work). 
  • Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    Options
    You should create a file /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/USRPKG_DEPS_START containing a line 'entware':

touch /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/USRPKG_DEPS_START
    chmod +x /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/USRPKG_DEPS_START
    echo entware > /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/USRPKG_DEPS_START

AND create an executable script /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/entware, which contains the start script.

The script /etc/init.d/zypkg_controller.sh is executed on boot, and will execute all scripts listed in USRPKG_DEPS_START, as long as they are located in /i-data/.system/zy-pkgs/, with the argument 'startup'. The same is done at shutdown, for all scripts listed in USRPKG_DEPS_SHUTDOWN, with the argument 'shutdown'.
  • Enderger
    Options
    Thanks! I now have it working. It turns out also that you need to change the location opt is stored in to match your system. I'll update the wiki page with those clarifications.
  • Cenkc
    Cenkc Posts: 7  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

hello

Can u give me detaild info for this ?

• Mijzelf
    Options

Which details do you need?

• Cenkc
    Cenkc Posts: 7  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

Can u give some detailed information for it please ?

• Mijzelf
    Options

There was a bug in the wiki, which was resolved 3 years ago. The history of that page shows that (among other things) this was changed:

mkdir -p /i-data/da290f2e/opt > /dev/null 2>&1

to

##Define the ID of your volume
    VOL=<YOUR_VOLUME_ID_HERE>
    mkdir -p /i-data/$VOL/opt > /dev/null 2>&1

So apparently the original writer of the wiki article wasn't aware that the mountpoints are generated dynamically, and are unique for each NAS.

Consumer Product Help Center