NR7101 drop outs in cold areas.

Options
SELBERG
SELBERG Posts: 268  Master Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
edited January 6 in Mobile Broadband

I have had many drops in my internet connection in the last week.

I have done a lot of troubleshooting but also talked to my isp and they said there is nothing wrong with my sim card.

The specification of the NR7101 states that it should withstand temperatures between -40°C to 60°C (- 40°Fto 140°F).

At my house, the outside temperature last week (Sunday to Friday) has been -35°C to -40°C.

Now the temperature is -25°C and the modem works as usual again.

At least my modem crashes at temperatures lower than -30°C.

My feeling is that the specs are not quite right....

I understand that almost no one or even someone who owns an NR7101 lives in such cold areas but still asking.

Anyone else had similar experiences?

All Replies

• Bob_C
    Bob_C Posts: 170  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi Selberg,

In terms of modem crash, do you mean the NR7101 reboots itself, or do you mean the network connection goes down?

If it's the latter, does it recover automatically?

Regards,

Bob

• Noddy
    Noddy Posts: 48  Freshman Member
    Options

Yeah doesn't get that cold here unfortunately so can't help; currently temps are around -5ºC. If the UK hit -35ºC there'd be something very wrong in the world. 🤣

• SELBERG
    edited January 17
    Options

Now we have -35 again and I lose internet connection from time to time.
    It goes down and reappears after a few minutes.
    My phone has connection all the time without drops with a SIM card identical to the one in the NR7101.
    Both are connected to the same tower.
    My ISP says there is nothing wrong with the SIM card so I am sure there is something wrong with my modem and that Zyxel never tested in temperatures as low as below -30.

P.S. I use Band auto selection D.S.

• Bob_C
    Bob_C Posts: 170  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi Selberg,

What i know and had an experience was that the CPE may be able to operate under freezing temperature, but not the SIM card. SIM card's shape may become uneven and affects the usage. I'm not sure if that's your case but just share what I know.

Also, what is the firmware you're using?

Regards,

Bob

• SELBERG
    Options

Well you wrote "under freezing temperature" i wonder what experience you have of temperature below -30C and down to -40C (-22F - -40F).

Not many people using this unit lives in such cold areas but you might know someone?

I use the latest firmware, tested both 1.00(ABUV.8)C0 and Nebula V1.16(ACCC.0)C0.

Module firmware is RG502QEAAAR13A02M4G.

I can´t understand what firmware has something to do with cold temperatures so that theory NO, hardware YES.

You also wrote "What i know and had an experience was that the CPE may be able to operate under freezing temperature, but not the SIM card. SIM card's shape may become uneven and affects the usage".

Simcard`s shape but not the units shape?

All materials shrink in the cold, SIM cards are very very thin and cannot shrink that much, but thicker materials like a modem shrink more.
    I don't believe in the theory that it should matter.
    The sim card holder is spring loaded so that the cold should make a difference is something I cannot understand at all.

This pic from my KIA niro EV MY24. dated 5 January 2024.

//J.

Consumer Product Help Center