WSM20 ProtonVPN Client compatibility

Options

Hello everyone!

I am trying to setup a router-wide ProtonVPN service (as a client) on my Multi M1 (WSM20) Mesh WiFi Router, but once I insert the credentials and upload the .ovpn file nothing happens and the router does not connect to the service. Might there be some compatibility issues or I am doing something wrong? Also, restarting the device does not solve the issue. Cheers!!

All Replies

• LAURAM
    LAURAM Posts: 13  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Appears that only OpenVPN is supported, while other VPN apps require additional configuration parameters. I've attempted several free VPN applications, but they do not seem to function properly.

• bruteForce
    Options

I tried the OpenVPN/IKEv2 credentials provided by Proton together with the .ovpn file as per the manual instructions for WSM20 configuration, but it doesn't connect at all. Such a shame because the router is advertised as an OpenVPN compatible device yet there are people who can't configure a simple router-wide VPN connection using the protocol. I also noticed that having the M1 as the main router behind my 5G Router (in IP pass through mode) and having enabled the VPN client OS-wide, I can't access the 5G Router interface. It just seems these two devices won't cooperate at all.

• LAURAM
    LAURAM Posts: 13  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

As far as I experience, OpenVPN support is typically limited to OpenVPN clients and may not be compatible with all .ovpn files. It's essential to ensure that the .ovpn file you're using is specifically intended for use with OpenVPN and is compatible with your device. If you're experiencing difficulties connecting using a particular .ovpn file, it's worth double-checking its compatibility with your OpenVPN client or router and seeking assistance from the provider.

Consumer Product Help Center