My NAS540 is completely offline, what are steps to determine issues?

Options
lwoodb
lwoodb Posts: 3
First Comment
edited March 18 in Personal Cloud Storage

Hello,

As mentioned, recently my NAS540 has gone offline and I haven't been able to access it at all. I dont know which firmware it is currently running (I did recently update it, say a day or two before it went offline). The sequence of events is as follows:

• NAS540 online
  • NAS540 web interface offline but shares still appear mounted
  • Reboot
  • NAS540 web interface is unavailable, shares are not mounted, previously assigned IP cannot be pinged.
  • Factory reset, but the the issue persists

Essentially I cannot access it at all, when I reboot it, it briefly appears to connect to my router, after which is goes offline and is never seen again. It does not connect long enough for me to check the web interface or anything else. Just a single connection, after which it disappears permanently. The LEDs on the unit are not indicating anything out of the ordinary.

What are some steps I can take to debug this situation?

All Replies

• suisei
    suisei Posts: 77  Ally Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

If you have a router accessible and can determine the IP address assigned to the NAS, you may attempt to change the NAS's IP address and then access it again once the new IP address has been assigned.

• lwoodb
    First Comment
    Options

I was trying to do that, but it appears the NAS is never assigned one. It just briefly connects, is noted by the router, then disconnects again and never shows an IP address. I did just notice that after it disappears from the router, it beeps once.

• suisei
    edited March 20
    Options

You can press the reset button and wait until you hear one beep, indicating that the password has been reset and the IP address released. Afterward, you can check again to see if the NAS can be assigned by the router normally

• lwoodb
    First Comment
    Options

Maybe I wasn't clear enough in my original post, but the reset I refer to was the single beep reset. It did nothing. I'm strongly considering just tossing this unit. Many IP/password reset and factory reset attempts have done nothing, so I have resorted to the USB recovery tool posted somewhere on this forum by mijzelf, but now the machine appears unrecoverable and simply does not boot properly. The only saving grace is that I have FTDI TTL 232R 3V3s at work, which means I can attach serial to the chip, which btw, is a headache to remove from the case. So I will see if it provides me any useful information, otherwise I'm probably just getting another unit..

• suisei
    Options

You have done the USB firmware recovery as provided by mijzelf. However, the symptoms persist.
    What I would try under this condition, I will remove the disk and boot up the NAS to see if the unit functions properly if I have backed up data.

Consumer Product Help Center