Can't install SMB V2 on NSA325

Options

All Replies

• BSB
    BSB Posts: 12
    10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

That was what my question was about.

I don't understand where you make the changes?

Can it be done in Windows connected to the NAS?

Do I edit files and how?

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,613  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

The instructions in that thread are executed in a remote shell. Normally you use ssh to get a remote shell. The ssh server has to run on the NAS, (the 325 used to have an ssh server package) and in windows you can open a command prompt and execute

ssh admin@<ip-of-nas>

to get a remote shell.

• BSB
    Options

Is this working now?

Is this update needed and is it possible to only have the NAS to be seen on internal network only?

I mean, is the risk that the NAS can be connected to from the Internet?

Trying to figure out, what are the risks with not doing it or is it more of the case, my Windows PC will be vulnerable?

• Mijzelf
    Options

Is this working now?

Yes, the forum at https://zyxel.diskstation.eu/forum/viewtopic.php?t=24 and the repository at http://zyxel.diskstation.eu/Users/Mijzelf/zypkg-repo/ are working.

Is this update needed

Define needed. If everything works for you, it's not needed.

and is it possible to only have the NAS to be seen on internal network only?

? AFAIK that is the default situation. You'll have to do some extra configuration to expose the NAS to the internet. (And that is not recommended at all.)

Trying to figure out, what are the risks with not doing it or is it more of the case, my Windows PC will be vulnerable?

We are talking about SMB2, I suppose? There are security issues with SMB1, that is why Microsoft disable it by default on W10+. There have been worms which spreaded itself inside a LAN using that (or those?) vulnerability. Yet is can only spread in a LAN. So if you have only 1 PC in your LAN, there is not much risk. Where would the infection come from? Not from the NAS. A Windows virus cannot run on a Linux NAS.

• BSB
    Options

I am on Win11 and would still like to use this NAS for some media.

I had enabled SMB1 on the PC I presume as I can access this NAS, but I do have a new NAS, just thought, rather than letting this 2TBx2 sit there, I'll still make use of it.

Probably not worth selling it as it old now despite having the disc and box still.

I'll try look at the info and I think I read, I need to remove all recycle bins first?

Thanks

• BSB
    Options

Still a newbie and don't understand the Install.

All I get is this

• BSB
    Options

I managed to get around it by doing this

/opt/bin/opkg update

I did get an error later and how do I know if it is working?

root@NSA325-v2:/home/shares# /opt/etc/init.d/S09ZyXELSambaReplacement start
    Stopping Samba daemons: nmbd smbd.
    mv: cannot stat `/opt/var/lock/*': No such file or directory

• Mijzelf
    Options

I did get an error later

That is a know bug. As you didn't do anything significant in Entware, no lock directory was created yet. The install script assumes it's there, and tries to move the content. It's harmless.

how do I know if it is working?

If you can access the shares from W11, without having SMB1 enabled, it works.

• BSB
    Options

Got a strange problem after removing SMB1, I can no longer see any Computers or devices in the Network blue folder.

I can still see Media devices and other devices, but no Network blue Icons?

• Mijzelf
    Options

I have no idea what the 'Network blue folder' is. Haven't used Windows for years.

Having said that, there is a big difference in how Windows used to announce shares and how it's done now. There was a protocol called NETBIOS which was used, which also is embedded in SMB1. Sort of.

NETBIOS doesn't scale, and has also other problems, and is succeeded by mDNS and uPnP or something like that. That has to be provided by a separate deamon, which is not included with the Samba replacement package. So the NAS won't automatically announce it's existence as Samba server in the network, and it won't be visible that way.

Consumer Product Help Center