Reset no beep

Options

I got the 542 Nas. I need to reset my password. There is no beep after pushing the button, not after 2 seconds, not after 10 or more. There is no resetting. Is there any other way of resetting?

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,638  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes there is. In the webinterface there is a 'reset to factory defaults' option. But I suppose you have no access to the webinterface due to lack of password?

In that case it becomes more complicated. One option is to use an 'Universal usb_key_func thumb'. Download the zipfile and read the embedded readme. The 'telnetd' option should give you telnet access. Unfortunately the loginless method doesn't work on a 5xx, so you have to skip the '-l /bin/sh' from the file. Which means telnet will ask for a password. You can bypass that by using the 'network_telnet_stop' script, which will stop the bootprocess before the config is applied, which means the default password '1234' is still valid. (I think). But you have to remove the '-l /bin/sh' from the telnetd line, else it won't start.

If you manage to get telnet access, come back here, than I'll find out how to reset the password.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,638  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

Yes there is. In the webinterface there is a 'reset to factory defaults' option. But I suppose you have no access to the webinterface due to lack of password?

In that case it becomes more complicated. One option is to use an 'Universal usb_key_func thumb'. Download the zipfile and read the embedded readme. The 'telnetd' option should give you telnet access. Unfortunately the loginless method doesn't work on a 5xx, so you have to skip the '-l /bin/sh' from the file. Which means telnet will ask for a password. You can bypass that by using the 'network_telnet_stop' script, which will stop the bootprocess before the config is applied, which means the default password '1234' is still valid. (I think). But you have to remove the '-l /bin/sh' from the telnetd line, else it won't start.

If you manage to get telnet access, come back here, than I'll find out how to reset the password.

Consumer Product Help Center