NSA326 new HDD

Options
DemeD
DemeD Posts: 5
First Comment
edited May 4 in Personal Cloud Storage

Dears,

I have an NSA 326 with only one 3Tb disk, very bad condition. I bought two new 4Tb HDD. If I put it to the 2nd slot can I copy everything on it? Than i can remove the old one? (Or replace to the other new 4Tb for raid1?)

Thanks

Dávid

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,638  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can move the 4TB to the first slot, but you don't need to. The NAS doesn't care in which slot the disks are. If you have two disks, and swap them (with the box off, off course) it will still recognize and use them.

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Options

Yes, why not?

There are 2 options, AFAICS, creating a raid1 array of that 3TB disk and a 4TB disk. That can only be done if the current volume on the 3TB disk is not incompatible with raid1.

The other way is to create a new volume on the 4TB disk, and copy everything over. (Preferably using the filebrowser in the webinterface, or the command line in ssh, to prevent sending everything over network twice).

If that disk is really in a very bad condition, I wouldn't convert it to raid1. Than also the empty space will be copied, which is useless, but is a burden for the disk. Further the disk will be dropped from the array on the first read error, leaving you with an unfinished raid1 array.

• DemeD
    First Comment
    Options

So just simply put the new 4tb to the 2nd slot and copy everything? If i remove the old hdd it will work like before?

• Mijzelf
    Options

If you have installed packages they will be gone. They are installed on a hidden part of the 3TB disk. Further the new volume is a new volume, which means that you'll have to re-assign shares. The old shares point to the 3TB disk which is no longer there.

• DemeD
    First Comment
    Options

And if i remove the 3tb hdd i have to put the 4tb to the first slot? It will works well?

• Mijzelf
    Answer ✓
    Options

You can move the 4TB to the first slot, but you don't need to. The NAS doesn't care in which slot the disks are. If you have two disks, and swap them (with the box off, off course) it will still recognize and use them.

• DemeD
    First Comment
    Options

So summed up: put the new to slot 2 → copy everything → remove old disk → install pkg-s.

• Mijzelf
    Options

After removing the old disk, you'll have to reboot, to 'promote' the new disk to system disk. But you probably already switched the NAS off to remove the old disk.

• DemeD
    First Comment
    Options

So the copy was done. I would like to save the transmission torrents and if possible modify the download path. If i understand well i can do it via telnet, am I right? I cannot start the mc but i dont know why? Any idea?

• Mijzelf
    Options

The file libiconv.so.2 is damaged. Don't know why. You wrote that the 3TB is in bad condition. Maybe related?

In theory you can download a fresh copy here, (which you'll have to extract), but writing to a dying disk is asking for troubles.

You could remove the 3TB, then the 4TB becomes systemdisk, and you can install midnight commander. If you then put back the 3TB, it should not become systemdisk again.

Consumer Product Help Center