NAS542 - cannot change default password

MasterOfDisaster
MasterOfDisaster Posts: 6  Freshman Member
First Comment Friend Collector

I use the NAS since a lot of years, but since two weeks I cannot log into management UI (with browser) and also the SSH login is not possible. I resetted the system password to the default (using reset button) and can now access the NAS with SSH again.

On the webUI the system asks for a new password (after entering the default), but it doesn't change it. So it will be set to the default password again and again.

On SSH I can login and change the admin and root passwords with "passwd".

What is the problem with the UI? Can I change some settings per SSH to prevent the password change on login? Can I reset to factory settings without lost my data on the HDDs? Can I reinstall the latest firmware with the SSH access?

Thanks a lot.

Accepted Solution

• MasterOfDisaster
    Answer ✓

I have solved the problem with the Zyxel support:

Reset the NAS to factory settings with the "reset" button on the back of the hardware (press more than 10s). Find the new IP of the NAS and log into the WebUI using default password. Applications are all accessible again. Install newest firmware. Restore settings with a previously stored configuration file. Reboot NAS, be happy.

All Replies

• MasterOfDisaster

On the FTP Server there is a firmware update at May 20th. So it could be the source of the problems.

• MasterOfDisaster

Found a solution for the webUI problem here:

https://www.romanstefko.com/2021/09/unable-to-login-to-zyxel-nas542-after-firmware-upgrade/

Use "smbpasswd" on the admin account via ssh. Login is possible again, now I can check the status of the firmware.

• MasterOfDisaster

Hm, all the applications for system status are gone, I can only see

File browser, photo, music, video, playzone settings, application zone, myZyXELcloud, Video Tutorial and Knowledge Base.

So I cannot see information about the HDDs and also systems settings are not available. Can I restore these things?

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,751  Guru Member
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Friend Collector Seventh Anniversary

When you use ssh to access the NAS, you can find a directory .guiconfig or something like that in the .system directory. Deleting that directory might solve your problem.

• MasterOfDisaster
    Answer ✓

I have solved the problem with the Zyxel support:

Reset the NAS to factory settings with the "reset" button on the back of the hardware (press more than 10s). Find the new IP of the NAS and log into the WebUI using default password. Applications are all accessible again. Install newest firmware. Restore settings with a previously stored configuration file. Reboot NAS, be happy.

• MasterOfDisaster

cd /i-data/xyz/.system

ls -allR | grep ".gui"

returns no such directory.

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,751  Guru Member
    250 Answers 2500 Comments Friend Collector Seventh Anniversary

The directory is is .system/guicfg , which, in my opinion, falls within the range of “or something like that".

Consumer Product Help Center