VMG devices bridge mode not accessible via it's management IP

All Replies

• k1s
    k1s Posts: 71  Ally Member
    First Answer First Comment Friend Collector Second Anniversary

Hi, when you say "interface the VMG3925-B10 is connected to.", are you simply referring to the ethernet ports? An ethernet cable is connected between the VMG3925-B10 LAN1 to the Synology router WAN port

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 941  Guru Member
    50 Answers 500 Comments Friend Collector Third Anniversary

Hi @k1s

Yes, that is what I mean, so that the Synology router knows to look for the VMG3925-B10 on the particular IP address out of a specific Ethernet port on the Synology router.

Kind regards,

Tony

• k1s

Unfortunately, that didn't seem to work. When I try to add the static route like this:

…I get this warning:

…and when I click 'Apply', it doesn't change from 'disabled'

• tonygibbs16
    tonygibbs16 Posts: 941  Guru Member
    50 Answers 500 Comments Friend Collector Third Anniversary
    edited May 30

Hi @k1s

Sorry to hear that it did not work for you.

Are you able to confirm what release number of Synology Router Manager you are running please? is it 1.3 or 1.3.1 ?

- You might want to try SRM 1.3.1 that is available to download from https://www.synology.com/en-uk/support/download/RT6600ax?version=1.3#system

Also, what happens if you try 0.0.0.0 as the gateway address in the static route dialogue? (0.0.0.0 being the route of last resort - my reason for asking is that the PPPoE WAN link might be changing its IP address each time, but 0.0.0.0 should still be in the routing table as the route of last resort or default route.)

Also, can you confirm please which port the link between the VMG and the Synology RT6600ax is on? Is it the blue WAN port or the 2.5G WAN/LAN port or one of the LAN ports please?

- I am asking the questions so that I can get my brain in sync with your setup.

I hope that this is useful. Sorry for all the questions.

Kind regards,

Tony

• k1s

"what release number of Synology Router Manager you are running"

Version: 1.3.1-9346 Update 9

"what happens if you try 0.0.0.0 as the gateway address in the static route dialogue?"

It doesn't seem to accept it:

"which port the link between the VMG and the Synology RT6600ax is on? Is it the blue WAN port or the 2.5G WAN/LAN port or one of the LAN ports please?"

VMG3925-B10 LAN1 is connected to Synology RT6600ax WAN (blue). I also tried connecting a second cable between VMG3925-B10 LAN1 and Synology RT6600ax LAN3, based on the suggest of @Peter2 to use the approach in this post:

…but I couldn't work out what that person had done. He/She says: "I had to create another WAN interface with a static address in the same subnet as the modem"

When I try to do that in the Synology UI, I get this message:

"I hope that this is useful. Sorry for all the questions".

I really appreciate you trying to help.

• DominikLOL
    DominikLOL Posts: 23  Freshman Member
    First Comment Friend Collector
    edited June 20

My VMG device is connected only to my WAN port on the main router, so that means to make it visible on the network I had to make another WAN interface that works sort of like LAN but needs masquerading/NAT otherwise it wouldn't work. My main router is Cudy AX3000 running OpenWRT which allows for multiple interfaces on whatever RJ45 port.

After these settings you shouldn't need to make multiple LAN interfaces, just this WAN management interface and it should be visible in your local network

• DominikLOL

my VMG4005 LAN settings:

• k1s

@DominikLOL thanks for posting screenshots.

I don't understand what you mean by "I had to make another WAN interface that works sort of like LAN but needs masquerading/LAN otherwise it wouldn't work"

I'm not sure I can replicate because my router is Synology RT6600ax, which allows network interfaces to be created and assigned to the LAN ports not the WAN port.

The settings I have are

It seems from your screenshots you have enabled NAT, as can I, but I can't see options in the Synology UI that match those in your OpenWRT, so it looks like this solution does not work for me.

• DominikLOL

Can't you make new network interface tied to the wan port directly?

Consumer Product Help Center