[NEBULA] Captive Portal Functionality

Options
Drew
Drew Posts: 3
First Comment
edited April 2021 in Nebula
I am trying to capture the email of users when they first connect to WiFi. My plan is once they connect, bring up a page with email form field, once they fill it out they hit submit then the next page captures that email and sends it to our MailChimp API, then redirects to our homepage. I have tried everything; the built-in portal pages, custom pages, etc. I can capture email with custom pages, it seems like I have to hit http://access-point-IP/cgi-bin/Clicktocontinue.cgi for it to unlock the users machine to access the internet. When I point my MailChimp script to redirect to that cgi, it just errors out. All our AP's are tied into the nebula control center.

So, my path to access internet would be - User connects to WiFi → Splash Page w/ email field auto opens → MailChimp API Script → Allow user access to internet (i.e. unlock their IP) → Go to our main website.

How can I do this?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Barney
    Zyxel_Barney Posts: 84  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Hi @Drew

Are you perhaps using an external captive portal and using MailChimp to mine the email addresses there?

Is there a reason why you can't gather the email addresses from the Nebula platform's frontend?
    This should be possible if you set the NAP's captive portal to Nebula Authentication Server and allow users to create auto authorized accounts.

Proceed to ORGANIZATION > Configure > Cloud authentication > Guest and the emails should now be saved there.

Regards,
    Barney Gregorio
  • Drew
    First Comment
    Options
    If I went this route, it would require users to create/manage accounts. We don't want that. We just want a simple email field w/ a submit button. Our goal is to be as unobtrusive as possible.
  • CrazyTacos
    CrazyTacos Posts: 53  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options
    What about using sign-on with Facebook accounts?
    You should be able to gather the email accounts using the email summary report.
  • Drew
    First Comment
    Options
    No, still don't want any sort of sign in requirement. We just want to capture email. I'll figure out another way. Thanks all for the input so far.
  • IvoxEngineer
    IvoxEngineer Posts: 6
    First Anniversary
    edited October 2021
    Options
    Did you manage to find out in the end?

I'm trying to achieve the same with no luck

Drew said:
    No, still don't want any sort of sign in requirement. We just want to capture email. I'll figure out another way. Thanks all for the input so far.

Nebula Tips & Tricks