Three NWA50AX - Wrong Pwd on one but roaming possible

Options

In my setup I have three identical (?) configured NWA50AX, all three hanging on the same switch. I configured them without nebula, as I don't have any internet-connection to this system.

I can login with mobile ios-devices on two of them, on the third one they are "blocked by key handshake fail" and saying wrong password.

But when I login on one of the other two, it is possible to roam also to the third one!

With a windows surface it is possible to login on all three APs.

I don't get what i'm doing wrong. Can someone give me a hint…

Greetings,
Wolfgang

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 490  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 15
    Options

Hi Wolfgang @tonabteilung

The "blocked by key handshake fail" log indicates a few possible issues with the WiFi connection to the third AP, specifically:

1. Poor signal strength: A weak signal can disrupt the connection process.
    2. Incorrect password: Double-check to ensure the correct WiFi password is used.
    3. Network interference: Overlapping channels or physical obstructions might be causing interference.

For further details, please refer to the related guide below:

To optimize your AP in Standalone mode, please consider the following setting:

• Adjusting the 2.4GHz radio power to be 5dBm lower than the 5GHz radio. As below screenshot, Radio 1 Setting is as 2.4GHz, and Radio 2 Setting is for 5GHz radio.
    • Ensure to enable Dynamic Channel Selection (DCS) for automatic optimal channel selection, enhancing connectivity even with connected clients.

If you need additional assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out.

Zyxel Nami

• tonabteilung
    Options

Hi Nami,

thanks for the advice.

I already doublechecked these issues, especially with signal strength, but that's not the point.

My ios devices say, the password would be wrong. But it is the same password for all three APs, and with windows-devices this also works!

Can it be possible to roam to an AP, if it has another pwd set than the other two?
    I marked the other APs as friendly APs…

Greetings,
    Wolfgang

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi Wolfgang @tonabteilung

Please double-check that the SSID name and the Security Mode (as below screenshot) settings are consistent across all three APs.

If they are identical, kindly provide the diagnostic files for these APs to facilitate further investigation.

The FAQ for collecting the diagnostic file is here:

Zyxel Nami

• tonabteilung
    tonabteilung Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited March 26
    Options

[Removed for security concerns]

Here are the three diag-files.

Thanks for helping.

Greetings,
    Wolfgang

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited March 26
    Options

Hi @tonabteilung Wolfgang,

I've downloaded the diagnostic files you sent and have removed them from this thread for security reasons.

We tested your configuration on our local NWA50AXs, and the connection to the SSID 'SQControl' worked normally, with our iPhone connecting to each AP without issues.

To further investigate, could you specify which of the APs is the third one you initially reported as problematic? Please share its location name or MAC/SN via private message. Additionally, providing the MAC/SN of the iOS device encountering the issue would aid our investigation.

Also, we recommend updating the firmware on all your APs to the latest version 6.29(ABYW.4)C0 to ensure normal operation. You can download the firmware at: https://www.zyxel.com/global/en/support/download?model=nwa50ax

Zyxel Nami

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi @tonabteilung

I hope all is well. I'm reaching out to follow up on your NWA50AX device issue, where you encountered a wrong password error while roaming was operational.

Has there been any improvement or resolution since your last message?

Looking forward to your update.

Zyxel Nami