Wifi visible but no internet

Mikkoty
Mikkoty Posts: 3
First Comment

Hello,

I have ZyXEL LTE7480 modem connected to ZyXEL NWA90AX Wifi switch.

Modem’s configuration page and Nebula dashboard for wifi seem to show that all is working properly, incl. Connection test seems to work. However, mobile (iphone) nor laptop (Mac) are able to connect to wifi, or connect, but internet is not working.

Any suggestions how to trouble shoot this further? Thank you!

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Judy
    Zyxel_Judy Posts: 1,394  Zyxel Employee
    1000 Comments Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch
    Answer ✓

Hi @Mikkoty ,

As discussed in our private conversation, the issue with your wireless clients not obtaining an IP address was due to your LTE7480-M804 router being in IP passthrough mode. This mode causes the LTE7480-M804 to function solely as a traffic forwarder, no DHCP server function.

To resolve this, you switched the LTE7480-M804 to Router mode following our provided steps.

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free!https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

All Replies

• Zyxel_Judy
    1000 Comments Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 2 - Nebula Second Anniversary Zyxel Certified Network Engineer Level 1 - Switch

Hi @Mikkoty ,

Please confirm whether your devices (iPhone, Mac) are connected to the NWA90AX’s SSID (Wi-Fi) or the LTE7480 modem’s SSID (Wi-Fi).

Note that the LTE7480 modem’s Wi-Fi is for management purposes only and does not provide an Internet connection.

If your devices are connected to the NWA90AX’s SSID (Wi-Fi) and there is no Internet connection, please verify whether the clients obtain an IP address. And then, please follow the guidelines in this link for troubleshooting:

How to resolve the issue when the wireless client can't access the Internet

Note: To confirm whether your devices are connected to the NWA90AX’s SSID (Wi-Fi) and obtain IP addresses, go to the Nebula portal or the Nebula mobile app, click on the Clients tab, and find the client’s MAC address.

Don't miss this great chance to upgrade your Nebula org. for free!https://bit.ly/4g2pS9L

• Mikkoty
    First Comment

Thank you. It is connected (or trying to connect) NWA90AX’s SSID. Also, if I understand correctly, it does receive IP address. Please see the screenshots.

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi @Mikkoty ,

The IP address 169.254.22.62 is a private IP address automatically assigned by your device when it cannot obtain a valid IP from the DHCP server. Any IP address beginning with 169.254 indicates that there is a problem preventing the client from receiving a "real" IP address.

To resolve this, confirm whether there are default VLAN configurations or specific VLAN configurations (e.g., VLAN 10, VLAN 20) for your wireless clients. Follow the instructions in this article to check and troubleshoot these settings:

• Mikkoty
    First Comment

Thank you. Unfortunately not being a professional on these topics, I am not sure I understand how my wireless client(s) would have have specific VLAN configurations? I am using this for private use onl. and won’t need VLAN groups (nor have set those up).

Is is possible to ”deactivate” this completely? Aim would be that all wireless clients (eg. guests visiting out house) can easily join the network.

• Zyxel_Judy

Hi @Mikkoty ,

Could you enable Zyxel support? Additionally, please provide us with the name of your Nebula organization/site here or via the private message by clinking to my account > Message.

We will check your site and tell you if there are any findings.

• Zyxel_Judy
    Answer ✓

Hi @Mikkoty ,

As discussed in our private conversation, the issue with your wireless clients not obtaining an IP address was due to your LTE7480-M804 router being in IP passthrough mode. This mode causes the LTE7480-M804 to function solely as a traffic forwarder, no DHCP server function.

To resolve this, you switched the LTE7480-M804 to Router mode following our provided steps.