Nas325v2 Reboot Loop

Options
oede
oede Posts: 4  Freshman Member
First Anniversary
edited January 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hello,
i have a problem with my nas.
the nas keeps restarting. With HDD and without Hdd.
A reboot loop

A reset does not work.

the last firmware update has led to it
can you help me?

#NAS_Jan_2019

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,605  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    You can use a recovery stick to downgrade the firmware. Take the right zipfile here, unzip it on a (FAT formatted) thumbdrive, put it in a backport of the nas, and power it up.
  • oede
    First Anniversary
    Options
    I have the package NSA325v2_480AALS0C0_UpgradeKey.zip installed
    the nas still starts again
  • Mijzelf
    Options
    Did you have timed shutdown active?
  • oede
    First Anniversary
    Options
    yes can you help me?
  • Mijzelf
    Options
    Does your NAS really have been in a boot loop for 2 years? 0_o

Anyway, a bootloop caused by a timed shutdown can be solved by erasing the configuration. To do so, download the Universal usb_key_func zipfile, extract it to a FAT formatted USB stick. Read the readme to create a 'netwerk, telnet and stop' version. Insert it in a back usb port (front doesn't work), and power on the box. When everything works you should be able to connect to the box using telnet (you can use PuTTY for that)
    Then mount the configuration partition and erase it:

mkdir /mnt/conf
    mount -t yaffs2 /dev/mtdblock4 /mnt/conf
    cd /mnt/conf/
    rm -rf *

remove the stick and reboot the box.

• hazimozi
    hazimozi Posts: 10
    First Comment
    Options

hi Mijzelf, i've run into the same probelm with NSA325. It reboots continously, but dont read the back USB even, just power up, start drives do sg for 5sec and turn itself off and on, and keep doing the same…

tried your rescue usb with network-telnet-stop sh.2 file but nothing happened, the usb doesnot lit up even.

any help? (changed the power to a new one to be sure to have enough power to drive 2 disks)

• Mijzelf
    Options

5 seconds is too short to be caused by the 'scheduled reboot loop'. I never had it myself, but I think it will be 30 second ish. 5 seconds is either a bootloader initiated reboot, or a hardware problem.

You exchanged the power supply, did you also try to boot without disks? If one of the disks is drawing too much current, it can cause a reboot at the moment they are powered up. Which easily could be at 5 seconds.

If it also reboots without disks, the only way to get more information is to hook up a serial cable. That should be a 3.3V TTL cable, something like this. (There exist cheaper variants from aliexpress, of course).

• hazimozi
    hazimozi Posts: 10
    First Comment
    Options

THx. My first thought was high current and adapter problem. It is 10 years old.

Got brand new, and a 326 system adapter but neither works.

The boot loop is there with or without disks, fan, USB... The blue power led is lit, the others doesn't, except for the top one, if there are disks they spin up and power goes off and restarting.

• metodi
    metodi Posts: 4
    First Comment
    edited March 2
    Options

Hello,

I ran into the same issue on my NSA325 v1. First, a couple of days ago I lost connectivity to the web interface, but when I took out the HDDs and booted the device everything came into place. Then I decided to do a firmware update from 4.3 to 4.8. I did it with no HDDs inside the device and everything was OK. Yesterday I put back the storage drives and decided to install some packages - Meta Repository, DropBear, Plex, Tweaks, etc. For the next couple of hours, everything was running smoothly. The only issue I found was that I was unable to shut down the device from the web interface. As it is normally running 24/7, I don't consider that to be some kind of a problem for me and do nothing more do research the reasons. When getting home last night I saw that the LEDs are not lit up, except for the POWER one. I tried to power on/off the device using the POWER button, but nothing happened. I unplugged the power cord and plugged it in. The device started, and I heard the HDDs, later the fan powered on, but only the POWED and HDD2 LEDs were lit, the latter almost not visible. The reset button is not working also. With drives inside the NSA, it took about 30-40 sec. "from boot to reboot", without the HDDs - it took about 60-60 plus seconds. I've downloaded the NSA325_450AAAJ1C2_UpgradeKey and extracted it to 4 different USB sticks (all FAT formatted), but with none of them, I was able to boot the device (or force reinstall firmware…). I am reading articles about connecting via serial console, but the forum I am reading is way beyond my knowledge level…   

• Mijzelf
    Options

4 different USB sticks (all FAT formatted), but with none of them, I was able to boot the device

Did you use the back ports? The front port doesn't work for this.

About the serial console, which forum are you reading?

Consumer Product Help Center