increase RAID 1 Volume NAS542

frameworker
frameworker Posts: 23  Freshman Member
edited March 2019 in Personal Cloud Storage
Hello,

I have an RAID 1 configured by using two 1TB disks. The NAS542 comes with 4 bays. So my question is what makes more sense:

1. Buy two disks a' 1TB and place it into the 2 empty bays. Can I increase the existing RAID 1 Volume to
double the capacity from 1TB to 2TB?

or

2. Buy two disks a 4TB for example install the disks within the empty bays and migrate from the existing RAID 1 volume (1TB) to the new one (4TB). Is that possible so far and how would that work?

#NAS_Mar_2019

All Replies

• Ijnrsi
    Ijnrsi Posts: 254  Master Member
    1. it is doable, but you need to replace one by one and wait for resync process done to replace another one.
    2. it is easier than 1., create the new volume and create a new folder on this volume, then move all file from old folder to new folder through file browser in web GUI.
  • frameworker
    frameworker Posts: 23  Freshman Member
    edited March 2019
    @ljnrsi: tnx for the comment, regarding point 1:
    Can I expand an existing RAID 1 leaving the existing 1TB disks untouched like this way:

Current 1TB RAID 1:
    Slot  1 2 3 4
    Disk 1 1 x x

Planned:
    Slot  1 2 3 4
    Disk 1 1 2 2
    ... expand the volume to 4x1TB (smallest capacity of disk), that expands the entire volume to 2TB. Or is that not possible? Found the following manual remark:

Chapter 5.3.2.1, Table 16

Expand the volume by adding disk(s)

Select this to add one or more disks to a JBOD, RAID 1 or RAID 5 volume. You can add a disk to increase an array’s capacity or to use as a hot-spare (standby). When you add a disk to an existing array, you do not have to re-create shares, access rights and so on as you would if you create a new volume.

Note: This option is available when a disk has not been allocated to any volume or disk group yet.

Consumer Product Help Center