Adding drive to existing disk group

Options
Hello!

I have a NAS542 with three 6TB drives in a RAID 5 setup, which i would like to expand with a fourth 6TB drive, hence the need for a disk group. Now, i would like to use the fourth drive temporarily for backing up the existing array.

So, the theory is: Back up array to disk 4, create disk group on disk 1-3, copy data over from disk 4 and add disk 4 to disk group - ending up with one 16TB volume and one 2TB volume.

Is this doable, or is it impossible to add a drive to an existing disk group?

Thank you in advance!

Accepted Solution

• t23
    t23 Posts: 8
    First Anniversary
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It is definitely possible. Note that with the latest firmware (and using Firefox), you have to click the disk group twice in order to get the Manage, Delete and hot spare options.

Here are the options in manage:

And how adding a drive works:

All Replies

• Kim
    Kim Posts: 37  Freshman Member
    Options
    It sounds doable. But, it may take a long time to copy the data back and forth. How about to copy the data to other equipment like USB drive or PC and copy them back after creating the volume for disk group on 4 disks?
  • t23
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Mainly i ask because the manual doesn't explain exactly what you can do in "modify disk group". If i cannot add a drive to the disk group later on, i need to buy two drives - one for the new array and one for backing up the current array.

Also, if i can add the fourth drive later, i can do all the copy operations from an ssh shell and save a lot of time that way.
  • t23
    First Anniversary
    Answer ✓
    Options
    It is definitely possible. Note that with the latest firmware (and using Firefox), you have to click the disk group twice in order to get the Manage, Delete and hot spare options.

Here are the options in manage:

And how adding a drive works:

• PredatorNo1
    Options
    Hi T23, It seems I have no manage button there :( I wanted to add a new disk to this group but this button doesn't work for me, remains grey!

• Dexter
    Dexter Posts: 108  Ally Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector First Comment
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Hi,
    If would like to expand the volume , I think you need to recreate a new one  go to Volume > Volume on disk group to create a new one.
    Before recreate a volume, please back up your file on the disk.
  • t23
    First Anniversary
    Options
    Hi T23, It seems I have no manage button there :( I wanted to add a new disk to this group but this button doesn't work for me, remains grey!
    Disk groups are really only good for two things - breaking the 16TB barrier and if you insist on more than one volume on an array. They are really slow, so if you can, back up your current array, and then do a stripe or mirror with your old and your new disk, whatever you have in mind.

First, you could check for a firmware update though - i believe there is one, not sure, i have the 4 bay model which is quite different. Also, do note, the "manage" button will not highlight until you single click the group (which it looks like you have), so in that case, it means the NAS doesn't know what it is you want to change.

If you have the possibility, i believe you would be better off redoing your setup without a disk group.

Consumer Product Help Center