random disconnects with NWA1123AC-v2

Wookie
Wookie Posts: 45  Freshman Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited April 2021 in Nebula
Hi community

I have two NWA1123AC-v2 (firmware V6.10(ABEL.8) in my house, powered via POE and two GS1900-8HP (firmware V2.60(AAHI.3)) switches. The APs are in the first floor and the below described PC is in the second floor. APs are installed on the ceiling and one is wall-mounted. The distance between the APs is around 6-7 meters and there are around 5 other 5Ghz wifi-networks with around -65dbm of signal.

Unfortunately I have random disconnects which are very annoying as I also play onlinegames or do streaming. I cant install a wired connection, otherwise I would have done so.

When a disconnect happens I get the following event log. reason 1 means unspecified and I cant narrow down the problem. The signal is within the configured treshold. In the below example I have an Asus motherboard X570-E with the newest drivers and Intel Wi-Fi 6 AX200 chipset on Windows 10 latest version.

SSID called: NWA5.2 (5Ghz), fixed channel 36 and 48, 40mhz channel width, country set to Switzerland.

I would be happy to have assistance to find the reason why I get random disconnects as I am overall very happy with the APs and switches.

all the best

Andrew

Accepted Solution

• Zyxel_Bella
    Zyxel_Bella Posts: 428  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓

Hi @Wookie

Thanks for updating the co-work experience with your neighbor. DCS is to let AP auto scan and choose channel, but if you’ve tuned the appropriate channel then it’s fine to use fixed channel.

For the AP’s service coverage, no matter the AP is installed as a ceiling or a wall-mount, the signal behind the AP is the worst position.

Even if it is placed on the ceiling of the first floor, it will not be good to provide it to the device directly above the second floor.

It is recommended to use one AP on each floor, you can deploy as wall-mount if the ceiling is not easy to install.

Regards,

Bella

All Replies

• Zyxel_Bella

Hi @Wookie,

The AP installed on the ceiling in first floor, its radio pattern is hard to cover the range of second floor. Although another AP is wall-mounted, we still need to consider the distance and obstacles from the PC to AP. Can you provide their locations?

There are other 5GHz wireless signal in the environment, we suggest you can enable DCS to let AP scan and choose the channel with less interference.

Regards,

Bella

• Wookie
    Hi Bella

thanks for your quick reply. The PC in the second floor is exactly under the AP which is installed on the ceiling (concrete). The vertical distance is between PC and AP is around 1.5 meters. What I dont understand is that the signal on the PC is around -62dbm to -70dbm and I get around 110 Mbits with a speedtest.

Can you tell more about the reason code I posted? I will also try DCS for both APs.

Many thanks
  • Zyxel_CSO
    Zyxel_CSO Posts: 375  Zyxel Employee

Hi @Wookie,

Reason 1 stands for unspecified deauthentication between AP and client like unstable signal.

We’d appreciate your sharing after you try DCS. Thank you

Regards,

Bella

• Wookie
    okay, will do that. I configured DCS schedule each morning at 06:00 AM. Do I understand correctly that DCS client aware ( I didnt activate that) would avoid that the APs are looking for new channels if clients are connected? If so, my APs would never check for new channels as I have clients (smart home devices) that are always connected.

this is how I configured it:

BTW: thanks for your quick and helpful answers, really appreciate that!
  • Zyxel_Bella

Hi @Wookie

Yes, enable DCS client aware will avoid APs change channel if clients are connected.

Thanks for always sharing your experience on community too.

Regards,

Bella

• Wookie
    edited April 2021
    Hi there

I enabled DCS and it made things even more worse, the RSSI dropped by around 4dbm and I had more noise. Going back to fixed channels improved the situation a bit. Fortunately I could take to my neighbour whos Wifi was on 80mhz and on max. power output. He changed the channel width to 40Mhz and also set a fixed channel far away from mine. This improved the rssi by around 5dbm.

As of now it seems to work. I am now also aware that the APs are not designed to cover devices above it.

Regards

Andrew
  • ivessm
    ivessm Posts: 45  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    Woolie

You said: "I am now also aware that the APs are not designed to cover devices above it."

I wonder what would happen if u mounted the AP upside down on the ceiling below the PC? Of course it might adversely affect the first floor coverage but curious minds want to know what would happen.

-stew
  • Wookie
    Hi Stew

good question =) actually I think this is quiet difficult as there is no way to install it upside-down. Another possibility would be to install the AP in the first floor upside-down on a sideboard or something like that. Then it may covers the first and second floor.
  • Zyxel_Bella
    Answer ✓

Hi @Wookie

Thanks for updating the co-work experience with your neighbor. DCS is to let AP auto scan and choose channel, but if you’ve tuned the appropriate channel then it’s fine to use fixed channel.

For the AP’s service coverage, no matter the AP is installed as a ceiling or a wall-mount, the signal behind the AP is the worst position.

Even if it is placed on the ceiling of the first floor, it will not be good to provide it to the device directly above the second floor.

It is recommended to use one AP on each floor, you can deploy as wall-mount if the ceiling is not easy to install.

Regards,

Bella

• ivessm
    ivessm Posts: 45  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    Duct-Tape...

Nebula Tips & Tricks