Ping is not stable, packet loss, bad performance, sometimes router stuck

Options
Hello, I have problems with NBG6818 Armor G1
-Worst ping is very high and not stable as should
-Packet loss
-Sometimes web page of router is unreachable via LAN and router need to be rebooted for fix

What I can do with that?

All Replies

• tak3joy
    tak3joy Posts: 9
    Friend Collector
    Options
    Link for LOGs
  • Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,062  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2022
    Options
    Hi @tak3joy

Welcome to Zyxel Forum.
    Could you provide your network topology?
    Please use cmd.exe on the computer ping the IP address (3.70.76.47) or the Domain name(lanet.ua).
    Is there any packet loss of the result on cmd.exe?

We try with client connected with ethernet cable or wifi, it should not have a packet loss.

• tak3joy
    Friend Collector
    Options
    Ping made from my computer connected to router with cable. Sort of, I solved the problem of resetting the router to factory settings and completely configuring it from scratch. I have 13 devices on my home network, these are TVs, TV box, Laptops, Smart Power Plugs, Phones, Security Cameras, NAS, etc., nothing unusual. I'm talking about the fact that it's not normal when the ping of 5 meters of the cable reaches even 10ms to the router, I have my old routers and there are no such problems, of which Linksys, MikroTik, Asus. But even after resetting the settings, I have a ping of 30+.
    lanet.ua - is my local internet provider
    3.70.76.47 - is the Amazon server in Frankfurt
  • PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,714  Guru Member
    edited March 2022
    Options
    So on rebooting the router you get no Packet loss from the router?
    last time I used winWTR it acks like a ping flood which the router may delay the ping

use 
    winWTR 0.91 is better

• Zyxel_Jerry
    Zyxel_Jerry Posts: 1,062  Zyxel Employee
    edited March 2022
    Options

Hi @tak3joy,

Are you using cat5, cat5e or cat6 ethernet cable?

May I know which port are you connected to when doing the test (from left to right (P1-P4) )?

Can you try with other port on NBG6818, does the symptom still the same? Or it only happen on the specific port?

Can you also try with other client connected to Armor G1? Does the symptom still the same?

• tak3joy
    Friend Collector
    Options
    I 'am using CAT5e cable connected to P1(LAN1) cable length ~5meters, absolutely same situation on all ports. Problem was fixed(I hope, but it hasn't happened again yet) with FACTORY RESET. 

I assume that the router updates that were earlier could affect the stability and there may have been installation errors, if only I could find out the password from the archive with full logs.

I also tried WinMTR 0.91 and didn’t notice any difference, the maximum ping is still 39, but the average is 0 because the problem is no longer critical, I will continue to investigate this and hope for a comprehensive solution to the problem.
  • PeterUK
    edited March 2022
    Options

That is the router replying to a low TTL ping to host but its possible the router is coded to delay such requests.

To really test the router forwarding packets you need to do something like is:

HTTP server 10.0.0.3 PC to WAN of the router with static IP 10.0.0.2/255.255.255.0

LAN 192.168.1.1/255.255.255.0 with PC to LAN 192.168.1.2 then use tcping64 to ping the HTTP server

tcping64 -t 10.0.0.3

https://download.elifulkerson.com/files/tcping/0.39/x64/

Now I would not expect a high ping in this setup

• tak3joy
    Friend Collector
    Options
    Here is my DHCP Settings:

And results are 192.168.123.2-192.168.123.40 has no response, like on screenshot above:

And here 192.168.123.1 I see that ping 26ms:

• PeterUK
    Options
    you need to ping from LAN to WAN not to LAN gateway
  • tak3joy
    Friend Collector
    Options

Hi @tak3joy,

Are you using cat5, cat5e or cat6 ethernet cable?

May I know which port are you connected to when doing the test (from left to right (P1-P4) )?

Can you try with other port on NBG6818, does the symptom still the same? Or it only happen on the specific port?

Can you also try with other client connected to Armor G1? Does the symptom still the same?

I made ping from Laptop Lenovo ThinkPad X240 with LAN cable to Port 4 length ~10 centimeters, and result is:

Ping from Raspberry Pi B+ with LAN cable to Port 3 length ~20 centimeters, same result:

Consumer Product Help Center