NAS540 identical volume names

I have 2 NAS540. All drives in each NAS are configured as basic volumes, 1 volume per drive, 1 share per volume.
To rationalise storage, I had to move 1 drive from 1 NAS540 to the other. However, now I have 2 times 'Volume2' in the same NAS. It appears to be working fine however.
I have 2 questions now:
* is it problematic to have 2 volumes with the same name? Is there a risk that something gets confused and I lose data?
* can I rename a volume? I don't mind using telnet, but I would need some clear instructions to succeed nevertheless.

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    I'm a bit surprised that everything seems to work. AFAIK the shares are defined within their volume by name, so I'd expect one volume to be 'hidden'.

The volume names are stored within the filesystem, in /.system/name_label. The filesystems are mounted in /i-data/<some-hex-code>/

So to change a volume name, pull the disk which has to keep it's volume name, then login over telnet or ssh as root (admin password), run
    ls /i-data/
    which will show you the mountpoints of the remaining filesystems. (There is also a sysvol, which can be ignored).
    Now you can check the volume name of each filesystem:
    cat /i-data/<some-hex-code>/.system/name_label
    If you have found your name_label, you can change it:
    echo "New volume name" >/i-data/<some-hex-code>/.system/name_label
    reboot

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,598  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Answer ✓
    I'm a bit surprised that everything seems to work. AFAIK the shares are defined within their volume by name, so I'd expect one volume to be 'hidden'.

The volume names are stored within the filesystem, in /.system/name_label. The filesystems are mounted in /i-data/<some-hex-code>/

So to change a volume name, pull the disk which has to keep it's volume name, then login over telnet or ssh as root (admin password), run
    ls /i-data/
    which will show you the mountpoints of the remaining filesystems. (There is also a sysvol, which can be ignored).
    Now you can check the volume name of each filesystem:
    cat /i-data/<some-hex-code>/.system/name_label
    If you have found your name_label, you can change it:
    echo "New volume name" >/i-data/<some-hex-code>/.system/name_label
    reboot

• FilipOz
    FilipOz Posts: 3
    Thanks! I have looked around and found the name_label. I haven't changed it yet since some other things are still going on, but I'm pretty sure I'll be able to make it work when I get to it.
    Thanks again!
  • FilipOz
    FilipOz Posts: 3
    Worked like a charm!

Consumer Product Help Center