Connection troubles with NR7101 after every 24 - 48 hours

Options

Comments

• Stiel
    Stiel Posts: 18  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary Friend Collector
    Options
    You don't need vanilla OpenWrt, you can use ROOter, which is an openwrt fork for modems.
    And no, it is not hard, but the guide on the official forum is not totally correct.
    I made a guide for installing ROOter and upgrade firmware, which is the same as openwrt, just vanilla openwrt doesnt have anything to control modem, ROOter have an easy menu where you just set apn, and connection monitor, and you are done. But you have to use MBIM mode, because in QMI, on openwrt you don't have QMAP, so anything over 150 Mbit/s will overflow the cpu, and crash the modem.
    It will be up on youtube soon, so if you want, you could get ROOter, or if you prefer, you can install whatever modem firmware you want, whitout needing Zyxel Dfota file.
  • Stiel
    Options
    n_o said:
    u3000 said:
    I'm fine with Openwrt on my NR7101 here. It has a cron job to daily reboot and the package "watchcat" installed which resets the modem in case 4 pings in a row fail to a specific host in order to bring the net online again.

does openwrt support ip-passthrough ?
    what country are you ?
    No openwrt doesn't have ip passthrough yet, it can be done, but noone was willing enough to make a script and a luci gui for it, openwrt have everything to do it, just noone have ever done it.
    You can DMC and avoid double nat anyway, so no need strictly the ippassthrough
  • BrandSafway
    BrandSafway Posts: 20  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    Stiel said:

I made a guide for installing ROOter and upgrade firmware, which is the same as openwrt, just vanilla openwrt doesnt have anything to control modem, ROOter have an easy menu where you just set apn, and connection monitor, and you are done. But you have to use MBIM mode, because in QMI, on openwrt you don't have QMAP, so anything over 150 Mbit/s will overflow the cpu, and crash the modem.
    It will be up on youtube soon, so if you want, you could get ROOter, or if you prefer, you can install whatever modem firmware you want, whitout needing Zyxel Dfota file.

can you link to the video once uploaded?
    also is it possible to revert to stock firmware after?
  • Stiel
    Options
    Stiel said:

Video is not ready yet.
    And sure, it's really easy to go back to stock firmware. you also retain all the config you have on stock firmware when you do.
    Actually it's the best way to get module firmware upgrade, and the only one to get R13 firmware, which adds 5G CA.
    you just hop on ROOter, instal module firmware, and get back to Stock firmware. that's it. 
  • BrandSafway
    BrandSafway Posts: 20  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options
    let me know when you have uploaded it. i would like to have a test run. i have a spare Zyxel which i can use for testing.
  • n_o
    n_o Posts: 35  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments
    Options
    Stiel said:

are there new about that guide ?
  • RisTo
    RisTo Posts: 20  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Hi all, most likely the reason for connection drops and traffic freezing is the fact that NR7101 lacks functionality to automatically re-connect to better signal or 4G when 5G signal gets too weak. This is standard feature in every other device.

To reconnect, boot is required..
  • TD0
    TD0 Posts: 1
    First Comment
    edited September 2022
    Options
    Anybody got a script that would watchdog the connection with ping and reboot as needed? I tried to look for a solution but couldn't find one.
  • RisTo
    RisTo Posts: 20  Freshman Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options
    I currently have uptime of 15 days without any issues. It certainly is possible with better signal levels..
  • YCD
    YCD Posts: 1
    First Comment
    Options
    I've just stumbled across this thread and it looks like this is the issue we're struggling with at one of our client sites. 
    I'm replying because we have managed to get ours to reconnect without a reboot. This might help you guys, but you may also find this triggers a thought process that maybe could help us all.

The way I got ours back online was this - I logged in and noticed that the active SIM selector was set to 'AUTO'. We only have a SIM in slot 1. So, I set it to use SIM2. Then set it back to SIM1. The connection came up immediately.

My hope was that maybe the system was inadvertantly tripped up by the option of having the 2nd SIM slot available. I thought that perhaps removing this option might prevent it going wrong again. It's a bit early to tell as this was only 2 days ago.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd love to hear them. I may also look into the firmware management systems that have been previously mentioned although I'm not massively keen on the idea :-/

Consumer Product Help Center