M1 Issues with wireless backhaul (Mesh)

Options

Hello,

I bought a pair of Zyxel M1’s last year to extend my wired internet connectivity to a room in my house where I have several wired devices, e.g. a printer and an IPTV receiver that does not have Wifi capabillities.

Initially I intended to use also the Wifi capabillities of the M1’s, but I soon gave up that idea due to instabillity issues in both the Wifi roaming behaviour, as well as in the mesh.

Most issues people are reporting on this forum seem to be very similair to the issues I have experienced so no point that I repeat the same things again.

I have one additional question though.

When I check the backhaul mesh status in the APP it says my devices are TOO CLOSE and I should move them further away from eachother…???

Excuse my Zyxel, but this cannot be an End-user/Customer issue.

I am since more than a decade working as a Network Solutions Architect and have designed and deployed numerous Eneterprise, multi-AP Wifi solutions over the years. I have never ever had to adjust the output power of the AP’s to accomodate for adjacent AP’s - that has always been handled by the AP’s and central wireless controllers automatically in the background.

As I cannot move walls around or extend my house, what do you recommend me to do to get a stable and reliable wireless Ethernet bridge between two Zyxel M1’s..?

All Replies

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 499  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello @Gondi

Thank you for reaching out to the Zyxel Community.

Regarding the automatic adjustment of output power that you mentioned, the Multy M1 devices currently do not support this function. However, we will evaluate and consider incorporating this feature into our future product roadmap.

As for Mesh stability, we are actively working on it and anticipate releasing official firmware to improve it by the end of July. We hope that this update will resolve your current issue.

Zyxel Nami

• Gondi
    Gondi Posts: 7
    Friend Collector First Answer First Comment
    Options

Thank you Nami,

Looking forward to testing the new firmware late July.

• CollinY
    CollinY Posts: 3
    Friend Collector First Comment
    Options

Hi Nami, Can I take it that the new firmware will also fix the issue with Multy's backhaul saying 'too close'. I have that same issue - both my satellite Multy's show 'too close' but aside from placing in my next door neighbours house :) I am not sure how I can create a larger distance! Thanks.

• Gondi
    Options

Insted of moving your devices into your neighbours’ you can - If you have enough Wifi coverage - cover one of the M1’s with an aluminium foil ’hat’ or something to shield the signals. The effect would be similar to lowering the transmit power but the results can be unpredictable… 😉

• Gondi
    Options

Thank you for the update Nami.

The challenges with Wifi compared with wired connectivity is that you use a shared medium. Even though a pair of AP's might work flawlessly in an isolated lab or testing environment they may not work as expected with the exact same configuration on customer premises due to different radio conditions.

Therefore when developing Wifi solutions and deciding what to include and exclude in terms of hardware and software features one can basically take one of two approaches.

1.) Include as many features and tuning capabilities as possible in the product so the consumer himself/herself can mitigate or work around unpredictable conditions to achieve the desirable and expected Wifi behavior.

2.) Exclude as many features and tuning capabilities as possible to make the devices plug-and-play, but then make sure that the AP's are 'intelligent' enough to handle DFS, dynamically adjusting transmit power and other important tuning to accommodate for the dynamic nature of the shared media that Wifi operates within.

If you opt to both exclude tuning capabilities and the product is not capable of automatically adjusting its behavior depending on local radio conditions you end up with a solution that only create support cases and negative feedback.

Looking forward to the firmware update late July!

Best Regards

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Dear @CollinY

We apologize for any inconvenience caused.

Regarding the "too close" status, it is not addressed in the upcoming firmware version. However, we are taking your feedback into account and will consider this issue for future enhancements.

Zyxel Nami

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello @Gondi

Thank you for your insightful feedback.

We appreciate your patience and look forward to your feedback on the update.

Please don't hesitate to reach out if you have any further questions or suggestions.

Zyxel Nami

• Dooshy38
    Options

Hi, I have a EX3301-T0 as my main router and I am trying to connect a pair of Multy M1 as satilites. I know the Ex3301 has mesh capabilities but cannot find any instructions on how to do this. I have also tried connecting one M1 as a separate router using bridge mode, but every time I remove the wan cable the M1 looses signal. Is there any where I can find the information I need on the Internet?.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hi @Dooshy38

The Multy M1 is only capable of forming a mesh network with other Multy M1 units, but not with different models. Therefore you cannot build a mesh network using the EX3301-T0 as the main router and two M1s as satellites.

When the M1 is configured as a router, it relies on its WAN port for an Internet connection. This is why the M1 lost its signal when the WAN cable was removed.

For more detailed information, please refer to the user guides for these devices:

Additionally, here's a helpful FAQ on setting up a mesh network with Multy M1 units for your reference:

Zyxel Nami

• Dooshy38
    Options

So what you are saying is the zyxel Multy M1 router cannot connect wirelessly to a zyxel EX3301-T0 main router even in bridge mode. That make the zyxel Multy M1 a useless piece of junk. After using other manufacturers mesh systems with no problems connecting wirelessly I find this totally unaccessible. How can you turn out a mesh system that is not compatible with other manufacturers systems and also your own zyxel routers. I am very disappointed and warn others not to buy the Zyxel Multy M1 mesh system.

Consumer Product Help Center