zyxel 8-port 2.5g multi-gigabit unmanaged switch

Options

All Replies

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,846  Guru Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

I think this is the problem

How many WAN IP's do you get from the modem?

Spectrum will only give you one.

• Lefty_Insider
    Lefty_Insider Posts: 27  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

Your drawing is accurate. I do not see a MAC address on the switch label.

• Lefty_Insider
    Options

I would blame the Cat 7 cables, but they work perfectly fine in the other connection method.

• Lefty_Insider
    edited April 30
    Options

"⇒ With this setup, does the router still receive the WAN IP before rebooting?"

I missed this part of your comment. The router will hold the IP once received until it loses it with a router reboot.

Photo of setup attached.

What if I would give the router a static WAN IP?

This is how my router setup looks if I select this option. It see that it will use my existing dynamically assigned WAN IP. Attached screen shot.

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 518  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @Lefty_Insider

From the photo of your setup, it looks like the MG-108 is connected as follows:

• Port 1: to the Hiltron modem
    • Port 2: to the Netgear router
    • Ports 3-4: unconnected
    • Port 5: to a device with no active link
    • Ports 6-8: connected to other devices

Given this and the unknown IP (10.0.0.2) after rebooting, there might be another DHCP server on your network. Could you please remove devices connected from ports 5 to 8 of the switch, leaving only the modem and router connected via the switch? This simpler setup will help determine if the router can receive the WAN IP without interference.

Zyxel Nami

• Lefty_Insider
    Options

As I indicated previously, the extra cables were not plugged into the switch initially. They were in the router LAN ports.

Port 5 is a spare cable at that location, Port 6 is a local machine to the router, Port 7 goes to the other switch in my office, and Port 8 goes back to a router LAN port to provide DHCP downstream.

There are no other DHCP servers on the network.

Do you think that static router idea will work?

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 518  Zyxel Employee
    Options

Hi @Lefty_Insider

Then, here is your complete setup:

With this setup, the unmanaged switch blends WAN and LAN traffic from Netgear router. Thus, the local machine may get the WAN IP from the modem resulting in the router can't get the IP. To address the issue, you may consider upgrading to a managed switch and configuring VLANs would help effectively segregate your network traffic. Here is our switch series for your reference. If you need assistance with setting up VLANs or have other networking needs, please feel free to contact our support team.

Do you think that static router idea will work?

⇒ Regarding this one, it's important to confirm with your ISP whether your WAN IP is dynamic or static.

Zyxel Nami

• Lefty_Insider
    Options

You nailed the drawing, but I will have to think about the local machine, used to configure the router, screwing this up.

As for a managed switch, your link results in:

Sorry, we can't find any items. The products you are looking for might not be available in your regions.

• Search: XMG1915 Series

• PeterUK
    PeterUK Posts: 2,846  Guru Member
    edited May 3
    Options

So every time the router does DHCP you go to the DHCP server of your ISP and loopback to your routers LAN DHCP server.

So yes VLANs will solve that

• Lefty_Insider
    Options

Thanks for your response, but the problem with that idea is that the only connections that were made were modem wan to switch, and switch to router wan, and client to router lan. If the modem was confused by the client connection, why at the client would I see a 10.0.0.2 WAN IP?

I just remembered that I did get a message on reboot that the router IP was being changed to avoid a conflict with my ISP. My LAN network is 192.168.x.x.

Oh, and btw, 8 port 2.5 managed switches are about $500. Too rich for my blood.