PLEX on NAS542

12346»

All Replies

• Mijzelf
    Mijzelf Posts: 2,741  Guru Member
    Community MVP 2500 Comments Sixth Anniversary 250 Answers

It doesn't make much sense to copy & paste that code. It is intended to run in a script, and that script is already on your box. I only posted it as reference where the error message comes from.

The error is about extracting an archive which is inside another archive. So it can hardly be corrupted, else the first stage would have failed.

Did you have a look at 'dmesg' to see if there are filesystem or hardware errors?

• mzcrt
    mzcrt Posts: 6
    First Comment
    edited June 4

Hello, I am writing the results when I enter the command, but as I said, I couldn't understand anything from them.

• Mijzelf

That file show the log since boot, 67 hours ago. It does not show any filesystem or hardware errors. So if you tried to install Plex within that 67 hours, that is not the problem.

So I downloaded PlexMediaServer-1.40.2.8395-c67dce28e-armv7neon_DSM7.spk, and tried to extract that manually on my NAS520. There is a bug in either the file or in tar, or both.

/bin/tar xf ../package.tgz 
    tar: warning: skipping header 'x'
    <repeated 160 times>
    tar: can't remove old file ./Resources/Plug-ins-c67dce28e/Framework.bundle/Contents/Resources/Platforms/Shared/Libraries/Restri: Is a directory

I have no idea why tar would try to delete a file. But it is right, the file is a directory. The directory …/Resources contains a file Beauti and a directory Restri. The file Beauti is a python file. Restri is empty. Both names seem to be truncated.

I tried with gnu tar (in contrast with the busybox tar on the box) which didn't throw an error (and didn't warn about header 'x'). Now there is more in the …/Resources directory:

$ ls -l
    -rw-r--r-- 1 admin everyone 79478 Apr 18 15:21 Beauti
    -rw-r--r-- 1 admin everyone 79478 Apr 18 15:21 BeautifulSoup.py
    drwxr-xr-x 2 admin everyone 4096 Apr 18 15:22 Restri
    drwxr-xr-x 3 admin everyone 4096 Apr 18 15:22 RestrictedPython
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 admin everyone 2650 Apr 18 15:21 binascii_plus.py
    drwxr-xr-x 2 admin everyone 4096 Apr 18 15:22 cerealizer
    drwxr-xr-x 6 admin everyone 4096 Apr 18 15:22 crypto
    -rw-r--r-- 1 admin everyone 2900 Apr 18 15:21 daemon.py
    drwxr-xr-x 3 admin everyone 4096 Apr 18 15:22 dateutil
    -rw-r--r-- 1 admin everyone 87945 Apr 18 15:21 demjson.py
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 admin everyone 26657 Apr 18 15:21 fcrypt.py
    -rw-r--r-- 1 admin everyone 167075 Apr 18 15:21 feedparser.py
    drwxr-xr-x 6 admin everyone 4096 Apr 18 15:22 pyamf
    drwxr-xr-x 2 admin everyone 4096 Apr 18 15:22 routes
    -rw-r--r-- 1 admin everyone 45471 Apr 18 15:21 subprocess_new.py
    -rw-r--r-- 1 admin everyone 32759 Apr 18 15:21 threading_new.py
    drwxr-xr-x 3 admin everyone 4096 Apr 18 15:22 tornado
    -rw-r--r-- 1 admin everyone 2257 Apr 18 15:21 xpython.py

The file Beauti is identical to BeautifulSoup.py. The directory RestrictedPython is not empty. So clearly the file package.tgz contains some strange entries, which chokes busybox tar.

Try another Plex package.

• mzcrt
    First Comment

I have never seen such a ridiculous company when different brands are so easy to install and use. Is it so hard to get a license. I've tried different versions but I can't get it to install, thank you, but I can't.

• Mijzelf
    edited June 6

I have never seen such a ridiculous company when different brands are so easy to install and use.

Well, what can I say. If you bought a ZyXEL for their perfect Plex support, you bought the wrong brand. But to blame them for that is a bit unfair. AFAIK you don't 'get a license' for Plex, Plex has to support your brand. And for ZyXEL Plex simply doesn't. And ZyXEL is not alone. According to the Plex download page Plex has (sometimes partly) support for Asustor, Drobo, FreeNAS, Netgear, QNAP, Seagate, Synology, TerraMaster, Thecus, unRAID and Western Digital. Where FreeNAS and unRAID are not brands, but operating systems. And Drobo doesn't exist anymore.

I looked at a random price comparison website to see which NAS brands are available today, and that are Asustor, eufy, Hikvision, QNAP, Synology, WD, Abus, Amber, Axis, Blackmagic Design, Buffalo, D-Link, Dahua, Dell, Digitus, Fantec, Foscam, Fujitsu, HGST, HiLook, HP, HPE, IBM, Imou, Iomega, ioSafe, Jovision, Lenovo, LevelOne, Lupus Electronics, Mobotix, Netgear, Origin Storage, Promise, QSAN, Reolink, Seagate, Sweex, Tandberg Data, Terra, TerraMaster, Thecus, Totolink, TP-Link, Transcend, Trendnet, Ubiquiti, Vimtag, Vivotek and ZyXEL.

I must admit, a lot of them are unknown to me, but yet they sell NASses, and most brands are not supported by Plex.

Years ago barmalej2 found out how to install a Synology or Netgear package on a ZyXEL. That is more than simply extracting it, both packages have some expectations about the environment they are running in, and that has to be mimicked. I wrote his findings in a script, and later converted that script to an installable package. Now it seems Plex has build an tar package which cannot be extracted by the firmware tar. What do you expect me to do? I could repackage it, but I'm not allowed to redistribute that. You could repackage it, and use it for yourself.

• mzcrt
    First Comment

All I want now is to install plex on my nas device and use it as a media server. Thank you for your interest if there is a way.

• Mijzelf

Basically the installing of Plex is the unpacking of package.tgz, which is packed in the Plex_bladibla.ipk, which is a tgz file itself. The unpacking of package.tgz throws an error. But when unpacked with another tar, it works. So it might work if you unpack and repack the whole stuff.

It is possible that that has to be done in Linux (or WSL on Windows) because there might be symlinks in the file, which is not supported by Windows filesystems. Unpacking on a Mac should be fine either.

Consumer Product Help Center