NR7101 Module Firmware Upgrade Fail

Options
Magaggie
Magaggie Posts: 10
First Comment
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband
Hi guys,

I got my NR7101 and managed to update the Router firmware to 100ABUV7C0 by following the instructions here: https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/360021563900-NR7101-Connectivity-issues-and-firmware-fix-for-unsupported-frequency-bands-5G-NSA-B8-N1-

My Module Firmware is RG502QEAAAR01A04M4G, which I can see if I power on (or just reboot) the router with the sim-card left in, on the "Module Upgrade" page (whereas if I remove the sim-card and reboot, that Module Firmware field is blank).

I downloaded all three Module Firmware files available here: 
https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/4403365084818, then attempted to update beginning with RG502QEAAAR01A04-R11A03.zip, planning to incrementally update from there.

Having tried to upgrade the Module Firmware for several hours now, with the sim-card in, without the sim-card in, right after factory reset, after reboot, after powering off (removing power) for 2 minutes etc., but no matter what I do, I keep getting the same error "Image uploading failed. The selected file is an illegal image."

mceclip0png

I have tried googling and the only info I can find besides the above mentioned links is this thread: https://community.zyxel.com/en/discussion/14030/nr7101-module-upgrade-failed where some suggestions were offered (the ones I listed above), but I have tried them all and still fail with the same error.

Has anyone else met this problem and solved it?

All Replies

• SELBERG
    SELBERG Posts: 271  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited December 2022
    Options
    Factory reset!

You did exactly this, not from web GUI?

• Make sure the device is connected to power and the power LED is on
    • Press and hold the Reset button for 15 seconds
    • Wait until the device reboots and you can reach the device again

https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/4404106191890-NR-5G-Series-Troubleshooting#h_01G2PQ1FN6VH7BVQ07FPJCMKZP

• monstrmprz
    monstrmprz Posts: 27  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options
    I got same warning when i'm updated the firmware R11A06 > R11A07 a month ago, but i didn't nothing (i didn't clicked ok button on the warning message) and several minutes later the nr7101 rebooted and the module is updated succesfully. I can't take out the sim because the router is on a 7m high roof, and i was on ABUV6.
  • Magaggie
    First Comment
    edited December 2022
    Options
    SELBERG said:
    Factory reset!

You did exactly this, not from web GUI?

• Make sure the device is connected to power and the power LED is on
    • Press and hold the Reset button for 15 seconds
    • Wait until the device reboots and you can reach the device again

https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/4404106191890-NR-5G-Series-Troubleshooting#h_01G2PQ1FN6VH7BVQ07FPJCMKZP

Hi Selberg, 

Thanks for answering, yes I am certain that I performed a factory reset. I do not think that the Web GUI even has a proper "reset" option, just "reboot", as pressing the "restart" button in the side menu brings up a confirmation window asking if you want to "reboot".. 

I followed the instructions in the user guide however, which state to hold the reset button in for "more than five seconds" and not 15 seconds as you described, and is stated at the troubleshooting link that you sent. 

See screenshot below and the user guide here: https://support.zyxel.eu/hc/en-us/articles/4403365084818-5G-Devices-Advanced-Downloads-Firmwares-and-other-resources-

I therefore just tried again, removing the sim-card and this time waiting the full 15+ seconds before releasing the reset button.

I then signed into the web interface at 192.168.1.1 using the LAN interface, without turning on the wifi (interestingly my PC is given a 192.168.2.X local IP by the DHCP and the modem also listens and provides the web interface at 192.168.2.1, which is the default gateway given to the PC).

Finally, I navigated straight to the module upgrade section, performed the upgrade attempt, waited about 20 minutes while the little animation runs on the screen. 

The result: same error as before..

And yes, I tried it three times total, with the same result every time. I also tried to switch browsers for the last attempt (Edge to Chrome, so still Chromium based).

• SELBERG
    Options
    Actually i had the same problem last spring but i cant remember how i solved it.
    You can try downgrade firmware to an earlier version like ABUV4 and do a factory reset.
    Try again upgrade module, you can upgrade firmware back again later.
    And yes, you can do a factory reset in web GUI. I'm not @ home now and does not remember how.
    I think it was.... Maintence/factory reset.
    I did all updates with simcard in my modem ....
  • Magaggie
    First Comment
    edited December 2022
    Options
    I got same warning when i'm updated the firmware R11A06 > R11A07 a month ago, but i didn't nothing (i didn't clicked ok button on the warning message) and several minutes later the nr7101 rebooted and the module is updated succesfully. I can't take out the sim because the router is on a 7m high roof, and i was on ABUV6.
    Unfortunately, this was not the case for me. After a failed upgrade, the modem does indeed seem to reboot, but the module firmware remains the same old version as before (checked by putting the sim-card in and rebooting the device). 
  • Magaggie
    Options
    SELBERG said:
    Actually i had the same problem last spring but i cant remember how i solved it.
    You can try downgrade firmware to an earlier version like ABUV4 and do a factory reset.
    And yes, you can do a factory reset in web GUI. I'm not @ home now and does not remember how.
    Thanks for the suggestion, I will try to downgrade the firmware to update the module firmware. Maybe I should try leaving the sim card in, as it seems to work for you. 

There seem to be two options in the web interface, a Restart and a Reboot. But pressing the restart button gives a box that allows you "Reboot", whereas the Reboot button brings you to a menu with the option to reboot or schedule a later reboot. 

• SELBERG
    Options
    Now i remember, @ backup restore it's possible to do a factory reset.
  • Magaggie
    Options
    SELBERG said:
    Now i remember, @ backup restore it's possible to do a factory reset.
    You are correct. I found the option there!

• Bob_C
    Bob_C Posts: 172  Zyxel Employee
    Options
    Hi Magaggie, 

Could you please contact Zyxel support team?
    This case might need some remote troubleshooting sessions, and I think it'd be better to handle this case by ticket.
    Please provide the NR7101's serial number while reporting the issue to the support team.
    Contact Support | Zyxel Networks
    You may refer to the System Info card (on the Home page) for the serial number.

Regards, 

Bob
  • Magaggie
    First Comment
    edited December 2022
    Options
    SELBERG said:

I have now tried to do as you suggested, I downgraded the firmware to ABUV4 (which went perfect), and tried upgrading the module, but got the same error, again and again. I upgraded again to V7 and gave it another try just for good measure, but still no luck.

Back to the old drawing board I guess.

Consumer Product Help Center