HP OfficeJet Pro 9022e keeps losing connection to wireless network

Options
PimK82
PimK82 Posts: 49  Freshman Member
10 Comments Friend Collector
edited November 2023 in Nebula

We have a recently bought HP printer, an OfficeJet Pro 9022e connected on 2 NWA50AX AP's, these are individually connected to a GS1200-8HP switch. All devices have been configured correctly and there are no issues with clients like phones or laptops. An engineer of this forum also checked the settings. A connection with a network cable is not preferred because the cable will run over the floor where people can fall over it. Wireless is preferred.

For some reason the HP printer says it's connected to the wireless network, but when trying to open the management page of the printer it says the connection was reset. Prints won't come out when you sent a print to it. I've rebooted the printer several times which not always helps. When I reboot the AP's or switch that fixes the problem temporarily (for a few days). Rebooting of the network components should not be necessary but I need to do this very often.

How can we get the HP printer stable on the wireless network?

All Replies

• PimK82
    Options

I've posted about this before, it seemed to be stable but we actually didn't print that much at that time. The former post:

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 497  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello @PimK82

Thank you for providing the details of your issue. From your previous post, it appears that the issue was resolved after disabling Port Isolation. Let's recap your WiFi settings to ensure we're on the same page:

1. SSID 1: Enabled only 5GHz for VLAN 1
    2. SSID 2 (Guest): Enabled both 5GHz and 2.4 GHz in VLAN10
    3. SSID 3: Enabled only 2.4GHz for VLAN 1

Your printer, which is 5GHz capable, is only connected to SSID 1.

To further investigate this issue, we would need some additional information. Could you please enable Zyxel Support and provide us with the specific times when the WiFi connection of the printer was unstable, along with its MAC address? You can send this information via a private message.

Zyxel Nami

• Nic80
    Nic80 Posts: 3
    First Comment
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello,

Sorry, it looks that i clicked on a wrong button and i have not found how to remove my comment.

• PimK82
    Options

Hi Nami,

I've sent you a private message.

Kind Regards,
    Pim

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi Pim,

Thank you for your prompt response.

Upon reviewing the Event Logs from the Access Points, I noticed that your printer has been roaming occasionally. The logs indicate:

Station: ….. disconnected by STA Leave(L2UPFrame) on Channel: 48, SSID: Key2Control, 5GHz,…

This event means that the printer left the current AP (AP_01) and connected with the other one. It occurred at 2023-08-03 07:32:58, shortly after AP_01 performed Dynamic Channel Selection (DCS), which is scheduled for 07:30 AM on weekdays.

There are several reasons why a client might leave its current AP:

1. Weak signal quality: If the AP’s current RSSI value is weak (typically below -75 dBm), the device will scan the band to find an AP with a stronger signal.
    2. Loss of beacons: If a connected AP's beacons are not received within a certain timeframe with an active station, the wireless client will start scanning for other APs within range.
    3. Channel utilization (CU): If multiple clients are connected to the same AP, connectivity may be disrupted due to network overload, even if the radio signal is strong.

Regarding the incident at 12 PM CEST you told me, I couldn't find any related logs for the printer at this time. Could you please provide more details about the printer's behavior, the AP, and other wireless clients at this time?

• Could other wireless clients connect to SSID_01 at that time?
    • What was the LED status of the AP during this time? You can refer to the Device LED guide under Help > Support tools, or access the guide directly via this link: Nebula Device LED Guide and refer to the NWA50AX column.

Later, at 2023-08-03 20:00:02, the printer was disconnected because the SSID is scheduled to be disabled.

Looking forward to your response.

Zyxel Nami

• PimK82
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi Nami,

Thanks for the feedback. We've noticed that the printer would not print around 12 PM, but it's possible the printer already roamed earlier in the morning. The fact your saying there was an issue earlier in the morning is possibly the reason why we couldn't print. After I've reset the switch and AP's, the printer worked again around 13:00.

The weird thing is that when the printer roams to another AP I would think it should still be connected to the network and I should be able to print. The 2 AP's are on the same network. Why doesn't this work?

I will keep on monitoring, only thing is that I'm on a holiday for 3 weeks right now. Can we check back beginning of September?

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hello Pim,

Enjoy your holiday! :) Certainly, we can continue our investigation when you're available.

You are absolutely right that the printer should work when it roams. Roaming is a standard feature that allows devices to maintain a stable connection as they move between different APs.

Therefore, in order to delve deeper into the issue, please send us the diagnostic file of the AP when the problem occurs again.

Here's a step-by-step guide for collecting the Nebula AP diagnostic information using the Web GUI:

It's crucial to collect the diagnostic file before rebooting the device, as the reboot will clear all the logs in the diagnostic file, which are essential for our analysis.

Zyxel Nami

• PimK82
    Options

Ok Nami, will do. I will send you the diagnostics when I'm back at the office again and we can't print.

Thanks again!

• PimK82
    edited August 2023
    Options

Hi @Zyxel_Nami

Today we couldn't print until 16:13, my colleague (MAC 5C:E9:1E:90:86:18) tried several times. After he disconnected his laptop from the network and moved his laptop physically closer to AP 1, it worked. When he moved away from AP 1 again, he couldn't print anymore. When he moved closer again (around 16:25) it printed again. It seems that something goes wrong while roaming of devices. The devices don't go offline and can still access Internet for instance. Only printing does not work and the printer now stayed on AP 1.

Do you have enough information to check the logging?

• PimK82
    Options

I've sent you the diagnostics files in a private message.

Nebula Tips & Tricks