(Chrome)Cast Problems with Zyxel NWA50AX Pro and NR7101

Options
emreoez
emreoez Posts: 20  Freshman Member
10 Comments Friend Collector
edited November 2023 in Nebula

Hi Guys,

I recently build up a "home network" with the NR7101 with 5G Sim Card and two NWA50AX PRO Access Points (1x for the cellar, 1x for the upper floor) as a new setup for faster internet in my house, since my region is not blessed with fiber internet.

So far so good, nearly every device seems to work fine BUT i have big Problems with the following devices. Google Chromecast, Samsung Smart TV, Teufel Cinebar Pro with (Google/Chrome) Cast Feature. Im not able to log them into my Network nor Stream anything on to them. I read a lot in the Community and there are lot of threads about chromecast/sonos cast a.s.o but there is no one with a similiar setup like mine, so none of the tips are usable for me.

Please help me out!
PS: Im not an Network Technician or company, just an average consumer. But this setup was recommended by a Zyxel support guy i had on phone before buying.

Regards
Emre

All Replies

• saltet
    saltet Posts: 10  Freshman Member
    First Comment
    Options

Do 7101 have built in mesh?

I have simliar set up but with 5101 BUT one of the nwa 50 have to be connected to the router as root ap as my 5101 do not have built in mesh.

I have six nwa in my home network one connected to the router and the five distributed.

The nwa must also have their one lan set up. The router give you one lan and the ap,s give you an other.

• emreoez
    Options

I forgot to mention

I'm also using an Zyxel GS1005HP unmanaged POE Switch.

The problem of the NR7101 is that it's not a "real Router" it hast only one POE LAN Port, therefor I'm using the switch to feed and get the APs and NR7101 with Power and Data.

But is my Problem regarding the Cast Options, about the Cable Setup or about Setup in Nebula?

• Zyxel_Nami
    Zyxel_Nami Posts: 506  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hello @emreoez

To assist you more effectively, we need some additional information:

1. Is your NR7101 being managed through the Nebula Cloud Center or the local web interface?
    2. You mentioned that the Switch GS1005HP supplies power and data for your NR7101 and two NWA50AX Pros, and noted that the NR7101 is not a "real router". Could you please clarify if there is another router involved in your setup, or if you could provide a detailed network topology? This information will help us visualize how NR7101 and NWA50AX Pros are interconnected.
    3. Regarding your end devices (Google Chromecast, Samsung Smart TV, Teufel Cinebar Pro), it would be helpful to know if these devices are capable of connecting to both 2.4GHz and 5GHz Wi-Fi frequencies, or only to 2.4GHz.

Additionally, please enable Zyxel Support Access on your devices and provide your Organization and Site names. This enables us to remotely check the configuration and provide more specific guidance.

Zyxel Nami

• emreoez
    Options

Thanks for reaching out!

1. NR7101 managed locally via Web Interface. How to implement to Nebula Cloud Center?
    2. I dont have another Router or similiar implemented. It was just a saying because im used to that it looks normally a little bit different. Actual topology: Switch GS1005HP, 3 Cables going out, 2 to the 2 AP's and 1 to the NR7101. Nothing else in the Network
    3. They are all capable of 5Ghz Network
    4. Activated the Support Access. Organization: EO - Site: Hammerweg

• Zyxel_Nami
    Options

Hello @emreoez

So far so good, nearly every device seems to work fine BUT i have big Problems with the following devices. Google Chromecast, Samsung Smart TV, Teufel Cinebar Pro with (Google/Chrome) Cast Feature. Im not able to log them into my Network nor Stream anything on to them.

⇒ Do you mean that your devices are connecting to the Wi-Fi but are unable to stream or be managed?

After checking your site, it seems your end devices can connect to the SSID from your NWA50AX Pros. Since devices like Chromecast and Samsung TVs often prefer the 2.4GHz band, they might be more susceptible to interference which could be causing connection issues. It's recommended to separate two SSIDs for each band (2.4GHz and 5GHz). This will allow devices capable of 5GHz connections to utilize a less congested frequency.

Configuration: select the preferred band for each SSID at Configuration > Access points > SSID advanced settings > Advanced settings > Band mode.

Let your end devices connect to the 5GHz SSID and observe if the issue is resolved.

NR7101 managed locally via Web Interface. How to implement Nebula Cloud Center?

⇒ To check if your NR7101 is Nebula-compatible or not, please refer to this FAQ:

Zyxel Nami

• emreoez
    Options

I exchanged the NR7101 not Nebula to an Nebula version. I saw that there seems to be 1 year License included, but i can't activate it. Could you please have a look into?

Actually Streaming seems to work on most devices, just one TV is not able to Connect to Internet although its listed under Clients in Nebula.

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello @emreoez

Regarding the issue with your TV's internet connection, I noticed that Samsung TV's IP address (192.168.178.31) is different from the other devices on your network (192.168.2.X range). Please check its IP settings to confirm whether it's set to obtain an IP address automatically via DHCP or if it's configured with a static IP. The discrepancy in IP ranges could be causing connectivity issues.

Also, a reminder about the SSID on your NR7101: it's primarily for configuration purposes. Please remember to disable it after configuration is completed.

For the NR7101's Nebula Pro Pack license, its inactive status aligns with our policy. According to this policy, the Nebula Pro License remains inactive when you add the Nebula NR7101 to a Base Org. Currently, your organization is a Base Org, containing 2x NWA50AX. To activate the Nebula Pro License for your NR7101, you have two options:

• Method 1: Move your NR7101 to a new organization that either exclusively contains Nebula NR7101 or includes devices all equipped with Nebula Pro licenses.
    • Method 2: Obtain Nebula Pro licenses for your current NWA50AXs, which will upgrade your organization to Pro status. Your organization will be considered a Pro Org once all devices within it have Nebula Pro Pack licenses.

Please note, while the NR7101 is primarily monitored through Nebula, configuration adjustments require access to its web GUI.

Zyxel Nami

• emreoez
    Options

Hi
    I tried your advices.

Samsung tv now connected, was really an ip problem.

Regarding one more ssid for 2.4ghz only, still

Cannot print from iPhone to Printer. Doesn't matter if Iphone is connected to 2.4ghz only ssid or mixed one.

Printing from Windows Laptop to Printer is okay but only when both, Laptop and Printer are connected to the same ssid. If Printer is connected to 2.4ghz only ssid and laptop to the mixed one, i cannot print.

Streaming to Teufel Cinebar Pro is exactly like the Printer, only works when both devices are on the same ssid. if they doens't match, endless loop of trying to connect.

Streaming to chromecast (2nd gen) works sometimes, mostly not. I can always see the device under cast devices but trying to connect is like an endless loop and not working. cannot reproduce how to get it work since its absolute random.

Seems like the devices are not communicating among themselves between those networks.

• Zyxel_Nami
    edited November 2023
    Options

Hello @emreoez

I observed that you've set up a new SSID (Zyxel_2.4G) that only enables 2.4GHz band, while the existing SSID (Zyxel) enables both 2.4GHz and 5GHz. This setup could lead dual-band devices, like iPhones supporting 802.11ax, to connect to the "Zyxel" SSID via 2.4GHz, potentially overloading the 2.4GHz band.

To optimize network performance, we recommend creating separate SSIDs for 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands. This allows devices with 5GHz capability to connect to the 5GHz network for a better experience, while devices only supporting 2.4GHz can use the 2.4G network, reducing channel congestion.

Cannot print from iPhone to Printer. Doesn't matter if Iphone is connected to 2.4ghz only ssid or mixed one.
    Printing from Windows Laptop to Printer is okay but only when both, Laptop and Printer are connected to the same ssid. If Printer is connected to 2.4ghz only ssid and laptop to the mixed one, i cannot print.

Regarding the connection between your printer and Windows laptop, iPhone, we suggest the following tests and share the results with us:

• When your printer and laptop are connected to the same AP (regardless of whether they're on the same or different SSIDs), please conduct a ping test from your laptop to the printer's IP address (check the IP in Nebula, Clients > Client list, choose Access point clients).
    • Doing the same ping test when your printer and laptop are connected to the different AP (regardless of whether they're on the same or different SSIDs).

For the NR7101, have you disabled its SSID? If not, is the SSID setting same to "Zyxel_2.4G"?

Zyxel Nami

• emreoez
    Options

I disabled the Wifi function of NR7101.

I have to Split my Story in 2.

FIRST TRY:
    I cannot ping my Printer if Laptop is connected to 5ghz ssid/network and Printer to 2.4ghz ssid/network. Pinging is only possible when both devices are connected to same ssid/network

Printing from iPhone is also only possible, if both are connected to same 2.4ghz ssid/network.

Casting to Teufel Cinebar Pro and Chromecast seems also to work okay if both devices, the one which sends cast signal (for example the iphone) and the one which gets the cast signal, are on the same network.

SECOND TRY:
    But after all this tests from FIRST TRY i tried the following and something weird happened:

When i change the floor in the House so my Laptop connects to the other AP which the Printer is not using, i can Ping the Printer, altough Laptop is connected to the 5ghz ssid/network and Printer to 2.4ghz ssid/network.

After this i exchanged the AP's Places, placed the one from upper floor to lower floor and vice versa. Same weird phenomen like above, nothing changed.

As soon as Laptop and Printer is on the same AP but different SSID, i cannot ping. Same AP, same SSID i can Ping. Different AP, same SSID, i can Ping. Different AP, different SSID, i can ping. Absolute senseless. Please help me to get out of this Horror Story.

Nebula Tips & Tricks