Speeds have degraded over the last year with the nwa210AX access points

Options
jpblanch75
jpblanch75 Posts: 111  Ally Member
First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
edited January 17 in Nebula

I will say when I first got these I was super impressed with their performance besides not liking the fast roaming capabilities. They hang on too much in my opinion.

I've had these for 2 years now and I'd say over the last year they just don't perform the way they did the first year. I use to get 700+mbps in my living room and 940mbps when I was in the same room as either AP. Now I am lucky to 700mbps in the same room as the AP and 400-500mbps in my living room. Nothing has changed with my network backbone. I have GiG service and the speeds are the same testing internally as they are externally.

The upload is usually fast than the download by 100 - 150mbps. The speeds above I listed are download speeds.

I'm thinking that I want to flash older firmware to them to see when they degraded their performance.

All Replies

• Zyxel_Kay
    Zyxel_Kay Posts: 577  Zyxel Employee
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    Options

Hi @jpblanch75

Wireless network performance can be affected by various factors, including physical obstacles, radio interference, the number of connected clients, and others. To help you optimize your wireless network, we recommend checking out the following articles:

1. Tips to help you improve your wireless network performance — Zyxel Community
    2. How to Optimize Wi-Fi Connectivity with Nebula AP? — Zyxel Community

Additionally, could you please provide more details on the following:

1. How many clients were connected when you conducted the speed test?
    2. Have there been any changes in your physical environment, such as new obstacles or electronic devices?
    3. Please specify the method you used for the speed test?
      To assess the performance of your device, you may refer to the following article:
      How to check the performance of the device? — Zyxel Community

Kay

• jpblanch75
    Options

It's pretty simple, I sit on my couch and run the speed test to the same server over and over. You are posting basic things that don't pertain to me as I work in the field.

Now that firmware 6.70 came out my downloads are now 600-700mbps on my couch but upload is now only 200-300mbps.

Its definitely firmware related.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @jpblanch75

To further isolate the issue, we kindly request you to try the following:

1. Conduct the speed test when only one end device is connected to the AP.
    2. Perform the speed test in different firmware versions, and share the screenshots of the speed test results.

This will help us gather more specific information about the performance under different conditions and firmware versions.

If you decide to switch firmware versions, you can follow the instructions provided in the following article:

Kay

• jpblanch75
    Options

Where can i find all the firmware that was available for the nwa210AX? I can only see the last 3 and they have all been slower than when i first bought it 2 years ago.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @jpblanch75

We can only provide the firmware officially available in the Zyxel download library. Therefore, we are unable to offer other firmware versions through the Community.

For further troubleshooting, we would like to schedule a remote session with you. Please share with us the following information:

1. Enable Zyxel Support on Nebula and provide your organization/site name.
    2. Share a convenient time for the remote session, preferably between 9 am to 6 pm (UTC+8).
    3. Connect your access point to a PC and share the TeamViewer/Anydesk information with us through a private msg.
    4. If possible, provide your email or Skype details via private msg or more convenient in contacting you.

Kay

• jpblanch75
    Options

All I can see for firmware is the latest releases, surely they're is a way to get previous releases.

My site is already shared with you

• Zyxel_Kay
    edited January 24
    Options

Hi @jpblanch75

At the moment, we can only provide the latest releases available on the Zyxel download library.

Regarding the troubleshooting, since we couldn't replicate the issue from our end, we would like to conduct a remote session with you for further investigation. Kindly share the information requested in my previous message via private msg., including your convenient time and the remote software details.

We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to resolving the issue together.

Kay

• jpblanch75
    Options

My issue is similar to what you found with the other APs you guys released a hotfix for. Unfortunaly I cannot spend the time doing that type of 1 on 1 troubleshooting. If there is some testing I can run and send you the data then sure I'll do that when I can. Otherwise I don't get paid to do the work for Zyxel trying to figure this out. I have a busy house and the network is always utilized.

• Zyxel_Kay
    Options

Hi @jpblanch75

In case you mentioned to the hotfix for SB model APs (NWA50AX, NWA90AX, and NWA55AXE), it's important to note that this fix is specific to those models when connected to certain NICs, as it addresses issues stemming from other chipset vendors. The issue you're experiencing with the NWA210AX access point is not related, as the chipset design on the NWA210AX differs from the SB model APs.

Regarding firmware updates, we haven't received reports of speed degradation with different firmware versions on the NWA210AX from other users. Additionally, we couldn't replicate the issue from our end; therefore, we still recommend a remote session to further investigate and troubleshoot the speed degradation problem on your site.

We understand your busy schedule, and we're here to assist in any way we can. If you can spare some time for a remote session, please provide your preferred date and time, and we'll do our best to accommodate your schedule.

Kay

• jpblanch75
    Options

I unfortunately don't have the time to do what you asked. I was able to fix the issue though mostly by enabling Smart Mesh, setting all the APs to the same channel and while this didn't work any better before Smart Mesh, I enabled 160mhz as well. Now with this setup I can consistently get 750Mbit/sec to 940Mbit/sec on both Upload and Download when in the same room as the AP. Latency has also improved internally. This is also true with my new NWA130BE APs I'm testing for Beta.

Nebula Tips & Tricks