Zyxel LTE5398-M904 connected to the cellular network but no Internet access

BruCom
BruCom Posts: 32  Freshman Member
10 Comments Friend Collector
edited January 4 in Mobile Broadband

Dear Zyxel community, greetings from Italy.

I really need your help before to surrender and return the above mentioned device to Amazon.

I like the LTE5398-M904 and would like to keep it but there is an issue should be solved.

The issue is that, with a random frequency, the Internet is not accessible despite the corresponding led is on and green and the web interface shows the cellular WAN is up and running.

Also the ping function in the modem diagnostic menu is not able to access the Internet.

I’ve the logging turned on and these are the few events before the issue occurs:

Mar 12 12:07:24 user.notice RILCMD: cid: 1 cgact_status[0]:1
Mar 12 12:07:29 user.notice RILCMD: Device UP in quectel_eg18_update()
Mar 12 12:07:29 user.notice RILCMD: set_LTE_connection_status: Up 
Mar 12 12:07:38 user.notice RILCMD: RILCMD STATE: RS_UPDATE ============> RS_READY
Mar 12 12:07:57 user.warning RILCMD: [LTE Cell info] RFCN:1500, Cell_ID:257687890, PCI:52, RSRP:-74
Mar 12 12:07:57 user.notice RILCMD: [LTE Cell info] RFCN:1500, Cell_ID:257687890, PCI:52, RSRP:-74
Mar 12 12:07:57 user.notice RILCMD: [IP info] IPv4:10.95.144.171
Mar 12 12:07:57 user.notice RILCMD: [IP info] IPv6:

Thank you to anyone can provide a solution.

All Replies

• JeanFrancois
    JeanFrancois Posts: 45  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2023

I encounter the same issue but it depends on the SIM card I use, so it may be related to the LTE provider. I've noticed that I can go to Network Setting > Broadband > Cellular Band and then re-apply manual bands selection to force LTE reconnection within a few seconds.

However, it's not really convenient of course: a watchdog would be useful to detect the issue and automate a disconnection/reconnection. This feature is widely available in network devices, for example pfSense call it "Gateway Monitoring" and let the user enter an IP address to monitor (see link below). Another idea would be to fix an auto-refresh delay: I guess my LTE provider doesn't like "full day" connections, or a DHCP lease time issue, in both cases force refreshing the connection every hour or so could be a solution.

https://docs.netgate.com/pfsense/en/latest/routing/gateway-configure.html

• BruCom

Salut Jean Fracoins
    I don't think we are discussing about the same problem.
    If I well understood your point that is a well know "problem" where, every N hours, the IPS renews the private IP address causing a temporary (20/30 seconds) black out but, indeed, possibly also causing some issues because your IP has been changed.
    Mine is something different, the Internet is not accessible despite the corresponding led is on and green and the web interface shows the cellular WAN is up and running.

The only solution is reboot the modem, nothing else works.

Thank you

• JeanFrancois

No I confirm we are discussing the same issue: the Zyxel fails to detect this IPv4 has changed due to my LTE provider, and the result is that the 4G connection is seen as alive, but the Internet connection doesn't work, I mean: no network access. Exactly the loss you described. I'm almost 100% sure the issue is due to a problem in the DHCP IPv4 renewing IP address which is not handled correctly, which causes the network loss after the IP address has changed.

• BruCom
    edited March 2023

Well, this is strange because even my provider periodically changes the IP address (every 12 hours) but Internet access does not stop, except for the sessions in progress at the time of change.
    A stupid question, but do you use the latest available firmware ?

• JeanFrancois

Hum, you're right: it's not related with DHCP renewing the IPv4 address and my guess was wrong unfortunatly (I enabled IPv6 and all was working since 3 days, so I was hoping it could be an IPv4 issue and that IPv6 could be a workaround). Alas, I've just had the issue back today (no Internet access and cellular network ok), and changing the band configuration like I do usually to force cellwan to restart was not helping this time (same log cycling and no IP adress assigned).

However, there is something really really strange: I have a tcp VPN established 24/7 to connect 2 networks and albeit internet was down, this tcp VPN connection was still working and I was able to manage a distant server. Next time I'll try to ping a known fixed IP address and to try restart the VPN…

(I have installed the latest firmware published a few days ago, no difference with the previous one)

• sysjohn
    sysjohn Posts: 4
    Friend Collector First Comment

Totally agree.
    I keep getting

Apr 6 21:17:27 user.notice RILCMD: [IP info] IPv6:
    Apr 6 21:17:29 kern.debug udhcpc: Sending discover...
    Apr 6 21:17:31 kern.debug udhcpc: Sending discover...
    Apr 6 21:17:32 kern.debug udhcpc: Sending discover...
    Apr 6 21:17:42 kern.debug udhcpc: Sending discover...
    Apr 6 21:17:44 kern.debug udhcpc: Sending discover...
    Apr 6 21:17:46 kern.debug udhcpc: Sending discover...
    Apr 6 21:17:55 kern.debug udhcpc: Sending discover...

Full reboot is necessary and after that hoping that it works..

• Hi,

Very same issue here! Also from Italy. From LTE5398-M904 configuration page everything seems connected, but no internet access. Rebooting the modem restores the connectivity.

Any solution came up? I would be very sorry in returning the modem, I really like it!

• BruCom

Hi Rabarbaro,

Which operator do you use ?
    I experienced the problem with Iliad.

@All: I would strongy recommend opening a ticket to Zyxel support team in such a way they are aware this defect is affecting many owners. Provide evidences, like the system log, a screen shoot of Ping not working from Diagnostic menu and web interface screen shoots. If you stay silent, easily, the issue will be underestimated and not solved. I already opened a ticket days ago still with no response.

• Hi BruCom,

I also use Iliad. Is it maybe related to the combination Iliad<>Zyxel?

I am also opening a ticket.

• JeanFrancois
    edited April 2023

Please check the post there: (script is for both LTE5388-M804 and LTE5398-M904)

@Rabarbaro FYI I'm with Iliad too ("Free" in France)

Consumer Product Help Center