LTE5388-M804 loses network after some time

Options

All Replies

• RobTheNetworkGuy
    RobTheNetworkGuy Posts: 14  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

Why can't I quote just part of a post? Anyway, "Note: if you use pfSense to detect the issue with gateway monitoring, obviously it will disable the route to the router and you cannot manage
    it anymore... bad idea ;-)"

Good point. So I got around it by adding a static route to the admin interface address on the Zyxel. Now I'm in to the web interface and it's in its failed state.

The connectivity pane on the main page is all yellow circles and ticks.

The sytem info page has normal looking APN, WAN IP address, DNS server IP addresses.

The cellular info page says the SIM is available, IP passthrough is enabled, cellular status is Up, the correct operator, a five digit PLMN, and sensible looking service information like band LTE_BC40 and RSSI -58.

On the diagnostic page if I try to ping something, I get 4 packets transmitted but 0 received.

So this does seem very much like a problem at the IP layer.

The routing table page shows the interface wwan0 for the default route but the gateway is set to 0.0.0.0 which seems wrong, unless it's because I'm using IP passthrough mode.

I exported the sytem log to syslog.log, but it's empty (it turns out I do not have syslog enabled).

Btw, I can ssh in but I need some extra options:

ssh -oHostKeyAlgorithms=+ssh-dss admin@1.2.3.4

I tried the commands in that post. They look like they are meant to configure the APN to some invalid APN, and then switch it back to automatic, which would, I guess, reconfigure the WAN. But there did not seem to be any effect despite the "Command Successful" messages. The APN does not seem to change on the System Info web page.

I'd be happy with a command to reboot the device. Reboot and restart are not commands. I tried browsing available commands with the tab key. I did not find anything about rebooting apart from the sys atcr reboot command but the help text says "Reset to default, erase Data partition" so I don't want to try that!

I will leave it in its failed state for now in case we think of anything else to try.

• JeanFrancois
    JeanFrancois Posts: 45  Freshman Member
    10 Comments Friend Collector First Answer
    edited March 2023
    Options

Maybe more luck with those commands:

cfg cellwan_mapn edit --Index 1 --AP_Enable 0 to disconnect
    cfg cellwan_mapn edit --Index 1 --AP_Enable 1 to reconnect

Index being the apn index from the gui.

Original post below.

By the way, "reboot" is supposedly a valid ZySH command :-(

Also, I personnaly fix manually the connection from the GUI from the cellular bands page. I do a change, apply, then revert to the inital config and apply again. It disconnects and reconnects within a few seconds much faster than a reboot.

• JeanFrancois
    edited March 2023
    Options

Anyway, again, an IP monitoring option with an auto disconnect-reconnect would do the trick.

I crawled several forums and this DHCP lease issue seems shared within many LTE devices : this is something that must be taken into account for good. And seriously, the option to automaticaly reboot every x hours in some firmware can also do the trick as a workaround, but it cannot replace a correct handling of the DHCP lease process. My 2 cents. 🤗

• RobTheNetworkGuy
    Options

cfg cellwan_mapn edit --Index 1 --AP_Enable 0 to disconnect

This worked. The GUI now shows "connection down" under cellular info and in other places. However:

cfg cellwan_mapn edit --Index 1 --AP_Enable 1 to reconnect

This has had no effect. If I do cfg cellwan_mapn get I can see a table showing that the APN is indeed now enabled, but the GUI does not agree and I have no connectivity. Perhaps something else is needed here, besides enabling the APN, to kick the connection into life.

I also now seem to have this looping in syslog over and over:

Mar 21 22:48:15 user.notice RILCMD: IPv4ConnectionStatus:1
    Mar 21 22:48:15 user.notice RILCMD: IPv6ConnectionStatus:1
    Mar 21 22:48:15 user.notice RILCMD: Close qmiclientId[0][1] 13
    Mar 21 22:48:15 user.notice RILCMD: Close qmiclientId[0][2] 14
    Mar 21 22:48:15 user.notice RILCMD: Close qmiclientId[0][3] 15
    Mar 21 22:48:15 user.notice RILCMD: Close qmiclientId[0][11] 16
    Mar 21 22:48:15 user.notice RILCMD: Close all the qmiclientIds of idx=0.
    Mar 21 22:48:18 user.notice RILCMD: cid: 1 cgact_status[0]:1
    Mar 21 22:48:22 user.notice RILCMD: RILCMD STATE: RS_UPDATE ============> RS_READY
    Mar 21 22:48:37 user.notice RILCMD: ************************* CM Connect *************************
    Mar 21 22:48:37 user.notice RILCMD: *****working_cid:1****enable == [ 1] **
    Mar 21 22:48:38 user.notice RILCMD: profile[1] = ///0, pincode = (null)
    Mar 21 22:48:38 user.notice RILCMD: PSAttachedState: 1

A reboot command would help now. But I agree with JeanFrancois that the real fix would be for these disconnections to be recovered automatically.

• JeanFrancois
    edited March 2023
    Options

Duplicate post, sorry.

• JeanFrancois
    edited March 2023
    Options

Duplicate post, sorry.

• JeanFrancois
    Options

@Zyxel_Support @Zyxel_AL how can we fill a bug report and/or feature request for both LTE5398-M904 and LTE5388-M804 to add a watchdog by monitoring an IP address and reset LTE if failed?

• YeK
    YeK Posts: 150  Master Member
    First Anniversary 10 Comments Friend Collector
    Options

@JeanFrancois

"how can we fill a bug report and/or feature request for both LTE5398-M904 and LTE5388-M804 to add a watchdog by monitoring an IP address and reset LTE if failed?"

Please provide the SN and FW verion of your device. Then we will let you know the next step of your request.

• RobTheNetworkGuy
    Options

SN = S210Z30017009
    FW version = V1.00(ABSQ.4)C0

• JeanFrancois
    Options

Mine is model LTE5398-M904, FW V1.00(ABQV.3)C0 updated yesterday (same behaviour with the previous one), SN S220Z220xxxxx

Consumer Product Help Center